Starbucks is synonymous with mornings- we all have our signature drinks, and can get it all over the world- there’s over 18 000 stores in 55 countries. Heck, its brand is so well recognized all over the world it doesn’t even put its name on its cups anymore.
In 2009, Starbucks made a conscious effort in revamping their food options by removing high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, dyes, and preservatives whenever possible. Which is why Health Fitness Revolution took a look at it’s menu and giving you the healthiest Starbucks ordering options when you’re there!
Healthiest Starbucks Options
- Protein Plate: Cage-free egg, white Cheddar cheese, honey peanut butter spread, multigrain muesli bread, apples and grapes. 370 cal, 5g sat fat, 17g total fat, 600mg sodium, 5g fiber, 17g protein.
- Hearty Blueberry Whole Grain Oatmeal: A blend of rolled and steel-cut oats with blueberries, a fruit, nut and seed medley, and agave syrup. 160 cal, 0.5g sat fat, 2.5g total fat, 125mg sodium, 4g fiber, 5g protein.
- Spinach and Feta Breakfast Wrap: A wheat wrap filled with cage-free egg white, spinach, feta cheese and tomatoes. 290 cal, 3.5g sat fat, 10g total fat, 830mg sodium (high in sodium so be careful the rest of the day!), 6g fiber, 19g protein.
- Hearty Veggie and Brown Rice Salad Bowl: Tossed roasted butternut squash, beets, kale, red cabbage, steamed broccoli florets and garden peas with lemon tahini dressing. 430 cal, 3 g sat fat, 22g total fat, 640mg sodium, 8g fiber, 10g protein.
- Seasonal Harvest Fruit Blend:
A delicious medley of seasonal fruit. 90 cal, 0g sat fat, 0g total fat, 0mg sodium, 4g fiber, 1g protein.
- Chicken and Hummus Plate: Hummus, grilled white chicken strips, cucumber, grape tomatoes and wheat pita. 270 cal, 0g sat fat, 7g total fat, 580mg sodium, 4g fiber, 20g protein.
- Multi-grain Bagel: A New York style bagel made with cracked wheat, oats, barley, triticale, millet, two kinds of flax and sunflower seeds. 290 cal, 0g sat fat, 3g total fat, 470mg sodium, 6g fiber, 14g protein.
- Fresh Fruit: Most Starbucks have fresh apples and bananas available- and both are great, healthy options for a morning- or afternoon- snack!
- Evolution Nuts: Starbucks recently started carrying these smalls packets of nuts, and eating half of the package is a great, healthy snack to eat- they are packed with nutrients, vitamins, protein, and healthy fats for brain function. Just make sure not to eat to many, and choose the varieties with the least amount of sodium,
- Healthiest Drinks: Coffee (no sugar), Hot Tea, Green Tea (read our article here), Iced Coffee, Expresso, Americano, Dry Capuccino.
SKIP OUT ON…
- The Cinnamon Chip Scone– it has more calories than a McDonald’s quarter pounder with 480 calories.
- Think that Zucchini Walnut Muffin is good for you? (It’s got Zucchini in it! It has to be!) Not so much. Although they call it “wholesome,” it’ll set you back 28 grams of fat (nearly half your day’s allotment) and 490 calories!
- The Chai Tea Latte may sound healthful, it packs 340 calories — that’s more than a Taco Bell Beef Gordita Supreme — and contains as much sugar as two melted Snickers bars!
- Caramel Flan Latte: To burn the calories you intake drinking one of these bad boys, you would need to spend an hour and fifteen minutes biking. This drink is the carbohydrate equivalent of 6 ½ slices of wheat bread.
- The White Hot Chocolate contains more saturated fat than a six-piece bucket of fried chicken at KFC and about as many calories as a chicken alfredo calzone at the Olive Garden!
The Caramel Apple Spice Drink is sold as a “kid’s drink,” is basically a gigantic glass of simple syrup: it contains no nutritional benefits and the same amount of sugar as five Hostess Twinkies.