For people with type 2 diabetes, managing blood glucose is a daily battle. But with smart snacking patterns, it can be a little easier. If you are using insulin, grabbing a quick snack can help prevent a drop in blood glucose between meals. Or it might be a good idea to have a snack while you’re cooking dinner to keep from overeating when the meal is ready. Keep in mind that snacking should be tailored to an individual’s preferences, schedule, and medication, so be sure to consult your doctor or dietitian prior to choosing snacks.
Choose small amounts of quality snacks, such as three crackers with one slice of low-fat cheese or a small handful of roasted almonds. Stay away from high-carb foods like candy bars and sugary desserts.
Here are 5 quick and easy snacks to have handy for diabetics snacks for your health:
Banana Smoothie with Kefir
- 1/2 cup(s) kefir, low-fat, plain
- 1/2 medium banana(s), baby
- 1 1/2 tablespoon nuts, walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blend together in a blender and serve.
Cottage Cheese with Cantaloupe and Flax Seeds
- 1/4 small melon, cantaloupe, cubed
- 1/2 cup(s) cottage cheese, low-fat, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds, coarsely ground
Mix chopped cantaloupe into cottage cheese and top with ground flax seed.
Chopped Cauliflower Salad
- 5 tablespoon mayonnaise, reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoon vinegar, cider
- 1 small shallot(s), finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, black ground, freshly ground
- 3 cup(s) cauliflower, florets, chopped, (about 1/2 large head)
- 2 cup(s) lettuce, romaine heart spears, chopped
- 1 medium apple, red, tart-sweet, chopped
Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, shallot and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Add cauliflower, romaine and apple; toss to coat.
Fruit and Yogurt Parfait
- 4 ounce(s) cream cheese, reduced-fat, softened
- 14 ounce(s) yogurt, fat-free, raspberry
- 1 1/2 cup(s) strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup(s) peach(es), pitted, chopped
- 1 cup(s) blueberries
- 2 tablespoon nuts, almonds, (or walnuts) sliced, toasted
In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat yogurt. In a large bowl, combine strawberries, peaches, and blueberries. Spoon half of the fruit mixture into four 10- to 12-ounce bowls or parfait glasses. Spoon half of the yogurt mixture onto fruit in glasses. Repeat layers. Top with nuts.
BBQ Skewers with Seitan
- 4 small potatoes, round red, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 10 ounces seitan, traditional, cut into 3/4-inch chunks (Seitan is a wheat meat, or gluten meat)
- 1/4 cup(s) barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil, olive
Microwave potatoes on high power for about 4 minutes or until tender. Preheat toaster oven set to broil. Thread potatoes and seitan chunks on metal skewers then place them on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Combine barbecue sauce with olive oil and brush kebabs generously. Broil 4 minutes, then turn carefully and broil for another 4 minutes. Remove from oven and serve right away.