Just a year ago, actor Christian Bale had purposely gained 43 pounds to play the role of an overweight con artist in the movie American Hustle. Now, in the newly released Exodus: Gods and Kings, we see how Bale went through a drastic body transformation to portray a trim and fit Moses. To quickly get back to his regular weight and size, Bale followed a strict workout routine – in addition to a strict diet – in order to play the role.
Much of Bale’s routine consisted of cardio exercise, such as swimming and running, as well as power weightlifting activities like jump squats, power cleans, explosive bench press and high pulls. On the days when he wasn’t doing cardio training, Bale followed this three-day weightlifting routine:
- 4 sets of chin ups superset with cable rows. Each set has 10-12 reps.
- 4 sets of power clean with barbell up to chest. With each set increasing weights- 12, 10, 8, 6 reps
- 4 sets of snatch hang high pull, with increasing weights in every set.
- 5 sets of sprinting for 30 meters, then 5 sets of 40 meters. Take rest of 60 seconds after every set.
- 4 sets of squat jump, 10 reps
- 4 sets of reverse lunges, 10 reps
- 3 sets of dumbbell flyes, 12 reps
- 3 set of bench press with smith machine, 12 reps
- 4 sets of stability ball push-ups, 10 reps
- 4 sets of close grip pulldowns, 10 reps
- 4 sets of deadlift with increasing weights, 12, 10, 8, 6 reps
As we see in the movie Exodus: Gods and Kings, the routine worked wonders for helping Bale reach his goal. Next time you hit the gym and you’re looking for a new routine, try his fitness plan.
Information gathered from Style Craze.