Health Fitness Revolution feels that packets of chips should carry a health warning!! Research tells us just exactly what makes potato chips unhealthy and the biggest fire fueling the obesity epidemic.
A growing body of evidence is emerging to show the snack is bad news — fueling not just the obesity and heart disease epidemics, but linked to developmental problems in unborn babies, hyperactivity in children, and potentially cancer in adults.
And if you needed any more reasons to cut these habit forming fried snacks (click here to read 20 Reasons to Cut Out Fried Foods):
- Studies have shown that eating one small pack of chips a day (which 2/3 of America does) is the equivalent of drinking 1.5 gallons for cooking oil a year.
- Decades of research by food-making giants have transformed chips into products designed to smart-bomb our brains’ craving centers with precision chemistry.
- Science has effectively put together a complete trio of sodium, fat, and crunch that our instinctive brains naturally crave.
- Research has found that the more noise a chip makes when you bite into it, the more you will like it.
- Another trick marketing companies use is to label such products ‘gourmet’, as if that makes their ingredients really any less bad for you when overeaten.
- Consumed in excess, research has proven that the ingredients in chips increase our risk of obesity, hypertension, type 2 diabetes and coronary disease.
- According to research published in the authoritative New England Journal of Medicine, chips are now the single largest contributor to the obesity epidemic in the U.S.
- Research indicates the high levels of starches and refined carbohydrates in today’s larger-sized ‘single-serving’ packets of crisps can knock awry the levels of glucose and insulin in our blood.
- British research shows that pregnant women who eat large amounts of chips and crisps could be harming their babies as much as if they were smokers. This is due to the presence of a toxic chemical in the snack called acrylamide. It is odorless, tasteless and invisible, but is linked with damage to DNA.
- New research shows that there may be other dangers for youths from overeating crisps, including hyperactivity and addictive behaviours. Chips could be contributing to the epidemic of ADHD in kids!
- In Lab rats fed a diet of chips, their brain scans revealed heightened activity in areas linked to hunger. Overstimulation in these regions is associated with hyperphagia — the clinical term for abnormal overeating, said the study. In other words, by their very nature chips may make you eat more overall.
- Chips also lead to tooth decay because they stay wedged in your teeth for hours.
- Butylhydroxytoluene, commonly known as BHT, is frequently used by the food industry to prevent rancidity in packaged baked goods and snacks- such as chips. It is known that BHT can cause cancer when consumed in high amounts.
Health Fitness Revolution by Samir Becic Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization, to make the world a healthier, fitter place, please donate!