Two-thirds of the human body is made of water. Every cell in our body requires water to function, survive, and thrive. This is why it is so important to consume at least 8 glasses into our system a day, but Health Fitness Revolution recommends doubling that number to really get the wide ranging benefits of water on your body.
Water is one of the best- AND EASIEST- tools for weight loss. Not only does it replace high-calorie drinks like soda, juice and alcohol, but it’s also a great appetite suppressant! Many times our brain fools us into thinking we are hungry, when really we are just thirsty. So next time you have the urge to snack, drink a big glass of water and wait 10 min to see if you really were hungry, or just dehydrated.
Drinking water lowers your risk of a heart attack. In a study done by the American Journal of Epidemiology, it was found that those who drink more than 5 glasses of water a day were 41% less likely to have a heart attack than those counterparts that did not drink as much water. Those that drank water were also 45% less likely to develop colon cancer.
You need to realize that when your body is dehydrated, even mildly dehydrated, it zaps your energy! And you’re going to need all the energy you can make to get everything you want to get accomplished this year! You need to be aware that the minute you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated, and you need to listen to your body and replenish it with water for it to function at an optimal level.
So, in addition to keeping you healthy and giving you more energy, water keeps your skin glowing, and also helps your digestive tract. Water helps your body eliminate toxins that inevitably accumulate throughout our day to day lives.
Now for some useful tips on keeping yourselves in check and making water drinking a habit in your lives TODAY!
- Carry a gallon container with you during the day so you can monitor your intake easily. OR carry a smaller bottle, but vow to fill it up several times during the day and finish them.
- Set a reminder or alarm on your phone to go off at the top of every hour, and drink one glass.
- Try sparkling water instead of juice, soda, or alcohol at social functions. Add a lime.
- To make water less boring, add lemon, lime, mint, or cucumbers to the water.
- Track your intake until it becomes second nature- if you do anything enough times, it becomes habit!
So make it a point to cleanse your internal bodies and drink up 🙂