For many people, the holidays are often synonymous with stress — especially if you are hosting a social gathering at home. There’s just so much to be done before family and friends come to town. Fortunately, certain foods can help manage the stress of the holidays. Here are seven picks to try to incorporate into your diet.
1. Oatmeal: A bowl of warm oatmeal can boost levels of serotonin, the hormone that helps you relax.
2. Blueberries: This little fruit provides an excellent source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that helps relieve stress. They’re also delicious!
3. Grains: Whole grains have several benefits to help reduce stress. The grains provide fiber and a steady supply of serotonin. Whole grains are also rich in magnesium, which is an important mineral to help combat anxiety.
4. Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, but they are also a good source of glutathione, which protects the body from free radicals and helps protect your immune system.
5. Fatty fish: Fatty fish is rich in omega-3 acids, a nutrient that has been shown to help prevent surges in stress hormones and protect the heart against disease and depression.
6. Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds are rich in magnesium, which helps regulate cortisol, a stress hormone. In addition, if we do not consume adequate amounts of magnesium in our diet, it not only causes anxiety but it can also trigger headaches and fatigue.
7. Herbal teas: Instead of drinking coffee or a soda to calm you down, try an herbal tea. They are naturally caffeine free, and many of them carry a calming component.
Information gathered from Fox News.