Ingredients for Vinaigrette:
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 medium lemons)
- 5 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup packed fresh oregano (leaves and tender stems only)
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the salad:
- Olive oil, for coating the grill grates
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 8 ounces of Halloumi cheese ,cut into 12 pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced through the root end, peeled, and cut into 6 wedges
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 x (8-inch) wooden or mental skewers
- 3 medium hearts of romaine, halved lengthwise through the core
- 20 kalamata olives
Preparation for Vinaigrette: Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process on high until smooth, about 1 minute. Refrigerate in a container with a tightfitting lid for up to 1 day.
Preparation for salad:
- Heat a grill to medium (about 350 to 450 degrees) and rub the grates with towel dipped in olive oil.
- Combine the tomatoes , cheese, and onion in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup of the marinade and gently toss to coat.
- Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Thread 1 tomato quarter,1 piece of halloumi, and 1 onion wedge onto a skewer, followed by another tomato quarter and another piece of halloumi, Repeat to make 6 skewers.
- Place the Skewers in a dish, cover, and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes and up to 12 hours .
- Remove the Skewers from the dish, allowing any excess marinade to drip away before placing them on the grill.
- Cover the grill and cook, turning the Skewers every 2 minutes, Until the vegetables are tender and charred and the cheese is soft. about 6 to 8 minutes total.
- About 3 minutes, transfer the Skewers after they are finished
- Brush the romaine with olive oil, Season it with salt and pepper , And place it cut-side down on the grill cook until slightly wilted and charred on the cut side, about 3 minutes.
- To serve, transfer the grilled romaine, kebabs and olives to a large serving platter
- Drizzle a few tablespoon of the remaining marinade over the salad, passing any leftover marinade on the side.