Health Fitness Revolution and Samir Becic, through no political affiliation, created a list of the healthiest world leaders in order to present them as ambassadors who promote healthy lifestyles in their own countries. Looking at the opposite side of the spectrum, we are choosing Kim Jong-un, the Supreme Leader of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, as the unhealthiest and least fit world leader in terms of his personal health and physical well being.
Considering the fact that there are many other world leaders with more critical health issues, we chose Kim Jong-un because of his critical state of health at such a young age. Other leaders are 40 to 50 years older than him.
Kim Jong-un’s state of health:
- Kim Jong-un, 31, is 5 feet, 9 inches tall, and approximately 250 pounds (about 115 kg). This puts him at a body mass index of nearly 40, which classifies him as severely obese.
- He loves Swiss cheese, a food he has eaten in excessive quantities lately. Considering Kim Jong-un’s position as a leader of Korea, he could very well be under high amounts of stress, which might cause him to eat more.
- He smokes and drinks large amounts of alcohol, his favorite being Johnny Walker.
- He reportedly has a sedentary lifestyle of playing video games.
- His family’s history of poor health includes severe obesity, which both his father and grandfather suffered from.
- In the Korean culture, being overweight is thought to be a sign of good health
- He recently reappeared in the public eye with a limp and a cane, which some experts say could be a sign of gout. The limp could also be because of a fractured ankle due to his quick weight gain.
Kim Jong-un’s health condition could lead to:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Dyslipidemia (high LDL cholesterol and low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides, all of which are caused by a high-fat, low-protein diet that puts him at risk for a heart attack)
- Type II diabetes
- Gall bladder disease
- Some cancers (endometrial, colon or breast)
- Sleep apnea
The average state of health for young men of his age:
- Optimal BMI for a man 5 feet, 9 inches tall and at age 31 should be maximum 24.9, and his weight should be around 160 pounds.
- Ideally, he should stick to a 2,000-calorie diet that is rich in lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, good fats and fiber.
- Diet should include at least 3-4 liters of water a day to flush out toxins, and limit alcohol to moderate amounts.
- Kick bad habits such as smoking and excessive drinking.
- Exercise at least three times a week for 30 minutes a day for weight training, and two times a week for 30 minutes a day for cardio training.
- Practice meditation or pick up a hobby that helps calm and clear the mind to relieve stress.
HFR founder Samir Becic says of the South Korean leader: “Many people ask me if I would like to be a fitness trainer for Kim Jong-un, and I say yes. I would train him just as I would train Pope Francis, who my HFR team and I proclaim to be the fittest spiritual leader in the world. My occupation is focused on fitness and a healthy lifestyle, and I would love nothing more than to help him – and everyone – get fit and healthy. I believe a healthy lifestyle should be a priority over a political agenda.
Samir continues “I have worked with many young men who were unhealthy, obese, depressed and had a negative attitude not only toward themselves but also toward the world. After working with them and helping them get healthy, they became more optimistic, positive, better team players, had lower stress levels and had a happier outlook on their own personal life and toward the world.
I believe through a healthy lifestyle, physical fitness, and positive mental, spiritual and social balance, we can avoid, control or better manage 60-70% of known illnesses. If Kim Jong-un would adopt a healthy lifestyle, he could be a great ambassador for his countrymen in terms of physical well being, and he could be more productive, positive and balanced in his ways.”