Lakewood Church Health & Fitness Program Director Samir Becic sat down with Lisa Gaines, who attends the Healthy U Class and has lost 50 lbs over the past couple months! Listen to her wonderful testimony and her tips to getting healthier, fitter, and happier!
There is an alarming crisis is looming in the pews of churches across America. In fact, statistics suggest that the church today may indeed be in worse condition than the general population. A 2006 Purdue study found that the fundamental Christians are by far the heaviest of all religious groups led by the Baptists with a 30% obesity rate compared with Jews at 1%, Buddhists and Hindus at 0.7%. Similarly, a 2011 Northwestern University study tracking 3,433 men and women for 18 years found that young adults who attend church or a bible study once a week are 50% more likely to be obese.
Here are Health Fitness Revolution‘s Top 10 Health Tips for the Christian Community:
- Spirituality: Spiritual awareness is one of the key components of healthy lifestyle that impacts the whole body and rejuvenates the spirit. Physical fitness and healthy nutrition allows that spirit to flourish to new dimensions and many people experience a closer relationship to God.
- Education: Education is one of the most important aspects to changing your life. Knowledge is the ultimate power when it comes to healthy lifestyle because it helps people in making healthy decisions and empowers them to take control of their lives.
- Balance: A major component to healthy lifestyle is balance. Knowing that happiness is good for your healthy, getting a healthy support system and friends, and indulging occasionally.
- Physical Activity: The best way to burn calories and fat! It doesn’t have to be a crazy workout routine that is intimidating, it is best to start with walking for 30 minutes 3 times a week. Just start moving a bit more during the day.
- Healthy Nutrition: What we put in our bodies as fuel is fundamental to being healthy. Start by cutting out sodas, drinking more, water, adding more fresh vegetables and fruit to your diet.
- Positive Attitude/ Motivation and Accountability: There are days it is going to be frustrating to switch to healthy lifestyle – which is why positive attitude is so important. Realize that you are human, and keep yourself motivated to stay on this amazing, healthy path. Accountability is also very important – knowing that ultimately you are in charge of what you put in your body and how you use it. Accountability will keep you motivated.
- Family Unit: As a family, you can all keep each other on path and motivate each other through the tough days. The family unit is very strong, and can be your best support system – and you can also motivate your family to be healthy with you!
- Media Support: The media needs to start promoting real healthy lifestyle programs instead of quick weight-loss programs that do not work long-term.
- Government Support: The government needs to promote more activities for our children, and make being an active a priority in our lives. Healthier citizens would put less strain on their countries economies.
- Vision: There need to be a healthy, natural, balanced vision that influences people’s ideals of health and fitness. Finding a vision that positively influences the health industry long-term.
Read more of our articles on Churches