We all know how we feel after a good laugh- let’s be honest, nothing balances us out and brings us back to a harmonious state than a good, real, hearty laugh. It’s almost as if instantaneously, laughter dissipates all stress, pain, and conflict. Laughter is so contagious that it can connect you to others, lighten your burdens, inspire your hopes, and keep you grounded, focused, and alert. In case you’re wondering why laughter is so therapeutic, Health Fitness Revolution breaks it down:
- Laughter Triggers Endorphins: which are the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. They are known to give a sense of overall well-being and even temporarily relieve pain! Endorphins curb anxiety, worry, fear, and stress.
- Laughter Relaxes: laughter leaves your muscles relaxed for 45 mins afterwards, leading to less stress and physical tension.
- Laughter is Good for your Heart: laughter can help protect you from cardiovascular diseases and heart attacks by improving circulation, blood flow, and improving blood vessel function.
- Laughter Boosts Immune System: Laughter improves the body’s resistance to diseases by increasing immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies while simultaneously decreasing stress hormones.
- Laughter Lowers Blood Pressure
- Laughter gives a Workout: Have your abs ever been sore from laughing hard? That’s because every time you laugh, your abdominals and diaphragm contract- giving you a mini-workout!
- Laughing increases Learning and Memory: in a John Hopkins Medical School study, results showed that laughter during learning led to higher test scores.
- Lowers your Blood Sugar Levels: One particular study tested a group of diabetics. After a large meal, they were immediately subjected to a tedious lecture. The next day, after the same large meal, they watched a comedy- and their blood sugar levels were significantly lower on the day they laughed after their meal.