Massages aren’t just relaxing, they are associated with many health benefits when performed by a licensed professional. There have been many scientific studies that prove, through blood tests, that regular massages reduce inflammation, help with autoimmune conditions, decrease stress hormones, and boost the immune system. Here are the Health Benefits of Massage:
- Ease Pain: 80% of Americans will suffer from back pain, and studies show that a massage can greatly reduce back pain, stiffness, and improve range of motion- especially in those with osteoarthritis.
- Curb Depression and Anxiety: Massages reduce the stress level cortisol, which result in reduced blood pressure and improved mood. Massages also boost the hormones of dopamine and serotonin, which are involved in depression.
- Improve Sleep: Most people have fallen asleep during a massage- and there’s a reason for it! Massages affect delta waves, which are the waves linked to deep sleep.
- Boost Immune System: Research has shown that massages lead to increased white blood cell count, which combat disease and boost your immune system.
- Raise Alertness: In a particular study, those who enjoyed a 15-min massage were more alert and completed math questions faster than a control group that had not had a massage.
- Beauty Benefits: Massages lead to increased blood-flow, which plumps skin, promotes healing, and helps the body rid itself of toxins through the lymphatic system.
- Reduce Headaches: Many headaches are due to tension, and getting regular massages will loosen neck muscles and stress levels, which can help those who regularly suffer from migraines and headaches.
- Cancer Treatment Supplement: Because massages are known to relieve pain, anxiety, stress, depression, and nausea, massages can ease those that are going through rigorous treatment of illnesses.
Health Fitness Revolution recommends getting 1 to 2 massages a month in order to experience the full range of health benefits.