A while ago we wrote about the reasons sugar are bad for you here. Not only does sugar raise your insulin levels, cause inflammation, and lower your immune system, but it also creates an addictive cycle of hunger, fatigue and moodiness. The good news is that it takes only five days to dramatically reduce the body’s dependence on sugar, by eliminating refined sugar from your diet- by eliminating processed foods, candy, and sweetened beverages (even artificial sweeteners!). By following certain guidelines, it makes it easier to quit sugar.
The downside to detoxing your body from sugar is that the first 5 days can be intense. Here are Health Fitness Revolution’s favorite tips for curbing those sugar cravings:
- Eat High protein and high fiber foods: Not only are they highly satisfying, but they also keep the body full for longer. Make sure every meal and snack contains them- good examples are eggs, avocado, nuts, hummus, and chicken.
- Eat Sour Foods: If you eat something sour, your craving for sugar will disappear. Good examples are kimchi, something with vinegar and sauerkraut.
- Drink ALOT of Water: Not only does drinking water help you lose weight, it also makes you feel full and flushes excess sugar out of the body, thus negating the craving.
- Eat Green leafy vegetables instead of white bread, white pasta and white rice: White flours and white rice are quickly converted to sugar, creating the same sugar cycle, but vegetables are complex carbohydrates, which keep you satiated for hours. They take longer to digest – keeping your blood sugar level stabilized.
- Eat some Dark Chocolate: It releases endorphins without spiking your sugar- just aim for cocoa content of 75% or more.