Being an Oscar-winning “best actress” most certainly comes with its perks- public distinguishment, better movie roles, sizable paychecks, and access to the hottest events- but it also comes with its price- especially for these talented women. The pressure to stay sleek and slender while balancing a busy work schedule is considerable for these fiery and successful women.
Yet, despite their hectic schedules, these Oscar-winning starlets manage to make it to the gym, or workout with their private trainers, no matter the weather. Each of the talented and devoted women on our list made health and fitness a priority in their lives- year round, even while rehearsing for a big screen role. This is precisely why they deserve to be mentioned as ambassadors of healthy lifestyle!
To create the list, we used a combination of interviews, internet, library, industry literature, and HFR founder Samir Becic’s knowledge of over 33 years in athletics coupled with his recognition as “4x Number 1 Fitness Trainer in the World.” We have been emphasizing the connection between health and public figures since 2013, and we are pleased to rank these women who lead by example in making the world a healthier place.
The following list reflects the toughest and fittest of Hollywood’s starlets, and HFR hopes to see more of these inspiring divas in 2017! Here they are in alphabetical order:
Halle Berry, 50
- The very first black woman to have won a Best Actress Academy Award, Halle Berry, packs a punch with her acting skills and in the gym!
- Her fierce workout regime is a bit of a shocker in the Hollywood world- not because of it’s intensity- but because of it’s simplicity and time efficiency!
- Since Berry only has about a half hour to workout on set, she does her best to fit in a full workout in that time- doing so 5 days a week.
- In that allotted time, Halle does five minutes of each: warm-up, upper-body strength training, lower-body moves, core-training exercises and fat-burning cardio work.
- When this gorgeous actress has more time on her hands, she enjoys trying different workout routines, such as kickboxing.
- Ever since Berry was diagnosed with diabetes back in 1989, she has followed a low-carb diet, packed with lean proteins and greens.
- “I do not love to workout, but if I stick to exercising everyday and put the right things in my mouth, then my diabetes just stays in check.”
- Previously made our list of Top 10 Fittest Hollywood Actresses, Top 15 Fittest African American Celebrities
Sandra Bullock, 52
- Sandra Bullock, a powerful actress in hollywood- is motivated to exercise and eat right by her big screen movie roles.
- Her award-winning movie roles motivate Bullock to go hard in the gym for up to an hour a day, 6 days a week.
- The glamorous actress keeps her workouts forever-changing and upbeat, alongside celeb trainer Simone de la Rue.
- Sandra’s regime includes yoga, dance cardio, toning and pilates.
- “I pushed my body to the extreme. Strength-wise, I had to know I could do anything [the director] asked of me at any given point, so not a day went by that we didn’t train.”
- As far as her diet is concerned, she keeps this well-balanced and nutritious.
- Her healthy diet consists of complex carbs, lean proteins, legumes, and steamed veggies.
- Bullock keeps her metabolism revved up by eating 5 small meals a day.
- Previously made our list of Top 20 Fittest Hollywood Legends and Top 10 Fittest Hollywood Icons over 50
- Cher entered her 70s with her fitness still on fleek.
- This black-haired beauty stays active by running for 30 minutes a day, stating it keeps her agile and flexible, while also keeping her metabolism healthy.
- She is also a fan of Pilates and hot yoga, which can go on for about 90 minutes!
- Cher admitted to there being no secret to staying slender. It requires a dietary discipline persistent exercise.
- This Oscar-Winning diva recently became a vegetarian, which means no meat.
- She also abstains from alcohol, which is a great way to avoid ‘drinking calories.’
- “I don’t smoke, I don’t drink, I eat really good food,” said Cher. “You have to work twice as hard [as you get older]. You have to be in the gym all the time, but I like it. When I was young I was a tomboy. I played sports. And I’m learning to surf right now. I like that kind of stuff, thank God. Fitness: If it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.”
- While aging does comes with its own setbacks Cher fights the setbacks with exercise.
- “It’s harder to do things,” said Cher. “I’ve been screaming at the top of my lungs at my family, ‘Work out! Work out! Old age is coming!’ At some point you will need the strength. Who would have ever thought you would get this old?”
- Made our list of Fittest Gay Icons 2017, Fittest Singers 2017, and Fittest Hollywood Legends Over 70
Jane Fonda, 79
- There’s no doubt this iconic actress is famous for her work-out videos- with 22 titles and over 17 million copies sold everywhere.
- Long before SoulCycle and Zumba classes were a thing, Fonda taught her very own classes in a L.A.-based studio focusing on an interdisciplinary technique combining aerobics, calisthenics, and dance.
- Fitness enthusiasts have been turning to her for decades to achieve her enviable figure.
- Fonda believes that the body needs a little bit of everything when exercising.
- “Whatever kind of workout you settle on, it should include the Big Three of exercise for health and fitness – aerobics, resistance exercises, and stretching.”
- Jane is very disciplined with her diet, claiming to restrict herself from simple carbs and stock up on leafy greens.
- She is also very adamant about never skipping breakfast.
- “Don’t skip breakfast! Feed yourself regularly throughout the day. Ideally, you should have one-third of your daily calories in the morning, one-third at midday, and no more than one-third in the evening – so you don’t impulsively grab whatever is around.”
- Made our list of Fittest Hollywood Icons over 70, Fittest Actresses
Nicole Kidman, 49
- Nicole Kidman enjoys fitness that is centered around family time!
- Kidman is an extremely busy actress and professional who takes advantage of family time to burn some calories!
- “I’m a fan of all types of training. I run, ride my bike, do yoga, whatever I can do and wherever I am in the world. We try to exercise as a family, which makes it much easier to squeeze in among everything else and, of course, much more enjoyable.”
- The red headed beauty told LA Times that there’s no secret to staying in shape. She enjoys mixing up her regime and keeping her diet moderate.
- “I’m actually not that strict with my diet. I pretty much eat anything, but all in moderation. Likewise, with fitness, I try not to be too strict with it and mix it up to make sure it stays fun.”
- Kidman admitting that running every day can get boring, so she changes up her routine with yoga, family walks, and spinning.
- The Oscar Winning actress regularly preaches the importance of health and fitness to her children.
- “Get out with your family, have some fun, don’t take it too seriously and make health, fitness, and nutrition an important part of your life. Ultimately your health, both physical and emotional, is the basis for everything”
- Previously made our list of Top 10 Fittest Hollywood Actresses
Gwyneth Paltrow, 44
- She is well known for her disciplined diet and workout routine- even at the age of 44.
- This lifestyle guru admitted that exercising with trainer celebrity Tracy Anderson completely changed her life.
- “Still, when I first started working with Tracy, finding motivation was hard. She advised me to think of exercise as an automatic routine, no different from brushing your teeth, to avoid getting distracted. Now it is part of my life.”
- The slender actress fits in a workout every Monday-Friday at 10am, no matter what.
- After experiencing a minor setback in her health- caused by stress, anemia, and a vitamin D deficiency, Paltrow modified her diet for the better.
- She follows a macrobiotic diet, and makes sure to detox regularly.
- Gwyneth eliminated coffee, alcohol, sugar, eggs, wheat, meat and processed food from her diet, but allows herself occasional indulgences, such as a glass of red wine.
- “I often have a glass of red wine in the evening and smoke a cigarette on a Saturday. I love those moments because they are just the right amount of naughty. That balance keeps you vibrant. You have to live your life, after all,” she added.
- Previously made our list of Top 10 Fittest Hollywood Actresses
Natalie Portman, 35
- Starting in her preteens, Natalie has been a vegetarian.
- After reading Jonathan Safran Foer’s book Eating Animals in 2009, she took it a step further and became a vegan. She said turned her from “a twenty-year vegetarian to a vegan activist.”
- She gave up being vegan, and returned to being a vegetarian, however, when she became pregnant. “I was listening to my body to have eggs and dairy and that sort of stuff”
- Natalie knows healthy eating starts at home, and told Vogue in an interview that she cooks a lot and even does vegan baking.
- To train for her role in Black Swan, she was training like a ballerina for 8 hours a day.
- Her regular routine, while not as intense, is still vigorous. She enjoys yoga and went to the gym both during and after her pregnancy.
- She enjoys working out outdoors with her husband Benjamin and son- she’s often seen running with her hubby and frequently hikes the LA hills with her son, Aleph.
- She also maintains a healthy view on life, she told Vogue “I like pleasure, I like joy. I’d never get to the point where I would starve or injure myself . . . I’m the opposite — when I’m hungry, I eat, and I always make sure I’m eating something delicious.” Enjoying life and balance, is what it’s really about!
Emma Stone, 28
- For her Oscar-winning role in Lala Land, she trained for hours in dancing but also worked with personal trainer Jason Walsh.
- She did a mix of cardio and weight training.
- A cornerstone of his training is the deadlift, and variations of it because it’s a great exercise that uses all the major muscle groups in the body.
- She eats a balanced diet and limits sugars and carbohydrates.
- Stone says she found lifting weights to be a good release for her. “I discovered I have deep-seated rage when I’m holding heavy weights over my head,” says Emma. “Whatever dormant anger I have in me, that’s where it comes out. That’s not the kind of working out I want to do… I’m usually a pretty peaceful person, but for some reason when I get in the gym something bubbles up in me.”
Hilary Swank, 42
- The Million Dollar Baby star relies on exercise, good genes, and nutritious but moderate diet to stay in spectacular shape at 42.
- “Well, I think I’m really blessed with good genes because I really am a big eater. I really like food and food is life to me, but I kind of eat what I want and do it in moderation.”
- Since she’s a busy actress, she supplements with vitamins and a ton of exercise to boost her energy and support her metabolism.
- “It’s a huge stress relief; it mentally makes me feel great. It gets my blood going, it gives me more energy, and it makes me think better.”
- Swank runs 2-3 days a week, and does Pilates 3 days a week, giving her body 2 days of rest.
- “I really appreciate exercise because I think it’s a great stress relief,” she says. “I do this thing called power Pilates, which I love. love, love.”
- Very frequently posts videos of her workouts on her instagram page.
- Alright, so moderation, regular exercise, and vitamins? Sounds like a great recipe for a healthy and fit lifestyle.
Reese Witherspoon, 41
- This petite actress is known for spending as much time on her fitness as on set!
- Her whole body is toned by both mixing her exercise routines and not following fad diets.
- She eats clean as part of her lifestyle and even told Us Weekly “I don’t believe in crash dieting or anything like that.”
- She loves running and is often snapped by the paparazzi during her jogs around LA.
- “I like to run for about an hour, and I’m big into working out with girlfriends. It’s an acquired skill, being able to discuss your love life, children, and friends — all while you’re running! But we have mastered it,” she told Good Housekeeping.
- She enjoys taking yoga classes with friends.
- Enjoys hiking.
- Fuels her body after her workouts. She is almost always photographed with a healthy juice, smoothie, or protein shake in hand while dressed in workout clothes.