Believe it or not, the game of darts is actually a professional competitive sport, but you’re more likely to see it played in your local pub or bar. It’s a challenging game that requires a high level of skill, accuracy and a steady hand. And though you might not know it, the health benefits of playing the game are great.
Samir Becic, 4 times Number 1 Fitness Trainer in the world and Health Fitness Revolution’s Top 10 Health Benefits of Darts:
- Relieves stress: Simply by getting your mind off of work, you can immediately begin to relax and get a mental and physical “breather.” As a leisure activity, darts are a positive diversion that allow you to mentally take a break from being on the job, whether at work or at home!
- Builds teamwork: Throwing darts can teach you to interact with others and grow together as a team. The fun competition between partners and teams would be a great training tool for co-workers and peers to learn team-building skills on a social and more personal level.
- Improves hand/eye coordination: Playing darts can improve your hand-eye coordination due to the high amount of accuracy and precision involved.
- Improves social skills: Playing darts is not just for people who want to be competitive, it is also an event you can do just for fun with friends! Joining a local dart league can expand your social and professional network, and if you are new to town, it is a great way to meet new people!
- Improves concentration: Focus is key when it’s your turn to aim for the bullseye. A careless throw could be costly, so concentration skills are greatly improved when darts become a hobby.
- Enforces strategic thinking: Playing darts also involves a lot of strategic planning because each throw is a tactical move. Better strategic thinking can translate to everyday logical planning.
- Builds confidence: Winning in darts is no easy task, and with more practice and increased success, it can boost your confidence and build greater self-esteem.
- Utilizes nonverbal skills: When playing on a competitive team, you will at times need to communicate with your teammates using either hand gestures or by reading their body language so that you can learn what your next move should be. You can also learn from the professionals how to play it by watching how they throw each dart and learning from their body language and skills.
- Promotes relaxation: As a stress reducer, darts can help you relax in the middle of a busy day. A quick game against a friend or a solo practice session during a break at work can do wonders for your mental clarity.
- Instills a sense of self-control: Throwing darts and focusing on the board can improve proprioception, or a knowledge of your own body’s position, which heightens your awareness of your movements. Learning to control your movements can also help with disciplining yourself and gaining a control over your body when balance and coordination are required.
Health Fitness Revolution by Samir Becic Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization, to make the world a healthier, fitter place, please donate!