What began as an elementary school game played during PE classes has now become a competitive adult sport with a huge following. But while this fun, recreational activity is all about having a good time and reliving your favorite childhood game, it’s also a great way to stay healthy and fit!
Here are the Top 10 Health Benefits of Dodgeball:
- A great form of anaerobic exercise: The short bursts of sprinting involved in a game of dodgeball can improve cardiovascular health by lowering blood pressure and pulse, improving circulation and burning calories. In this manner, dodgeball can constitute a form of interval training, with players running for brief periods of time.
- Increases agility and balance: Players running across a court don’t just run; they also have to dodge balls. This can improve agility as players adjust their bodies at a rapid pace. It can also help players improve their balance.
- Improves strength training: A standard dodgeball court is 30 feet across, and players must throw large balls a moderate distance to successfully hit members of the other team. This requires strength in the shoulders, back, abs and arms, and repeatedly throwing the ball can help build muscle endurance.
- Improves hand-eye coordination: Both ball dodgers and ball throwers have to have good hand-eye coordination. To successfully hit other players, throwers need to coordinate their throws not only with the other players’ current location, but also with their anticipated location when the ball lands.
- Promotes weight loss: The object of the game is to avoid getting hit so you can stay on the floor and help your team. The longer you stay “alive,” the more calories you’ll burn. According to HealthStatus.com, a 155-pound person will burn 186 calories during 30 minutes of playing dodgeball.
- Improves flexibility: When trying to dodge the ball, you are constantly twisting and turning, bending up and down and jumping around. Over time, your flexibility improves, which can also carry over into daily activities as well.
- Stress reliever: You can feel a bad day slip away bit by bit with every throw. Also, it’s fun! Laughter is the best stress reliever, so get on the court, have fun and laugh out loud.
- Develops fast reflexes: Dodging a flying ball coming straight at you takes some really fast reflex skills. Working on your reflexive skills can be beneficial while practicing other sports as well.
- Builds teamwork: Working with your team to take down the opponents is a great way to not only learn and work with others but also gain leadership skills.
- Fun and uplifting: Dodgeball is also a fun way to meet new people or just enjoy a day of fun with friends and family. Adult leagues in your city can help you grow your social and professional network while staying active.
Health Fitness Revolution by Samir Becic Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization, to make the world a healthier, fitter place, please donate!