Whether your visit is post-workout inspired or because you feel the need let off some steam by being enshrouded by steam, the second you pull open that door and are assaulted by the sensuous heat and dry air of the sauna, you know you’ve arrived at a place where you can unwind and luxuriate in peace. Though you may be surrounded with others – either fully clothed or swathed in the comforting embrace of a 100-thread Egyptian cotton towel – the duration of time you spend in a sauce is with you, your thoughts and your relaxing body.
Here are the Top 10 from Health Fitness Revolution and author of the book ReSYNC Your Life Samir Becic:
- Relieves tension – Heat from the sauna soothes your nerve endings and also warms and relaxes your muscles. Saunas and steam rooms can also minimize joint pain as well as arthritis, migraines, and headaches due to the high heat environment.
- Reduces stress – Heat from the sauna causes the body to release endorphins, or “feel good” chemicals that reduces the feeling of stress on the body.After leaving the sauna, you will feel rejuvenated and content and even have the confidence to tackle more during the day.
- Clears the skin – Steam clears skin impurities and can serve as an acne treatment. It also improves circulation throughout the body which will give you a healthy glow, and make your skin look and feel great.
- Aids in weight loss – Because of the high heat, steam rooms and saunas will definitely get you sweating. Frequent visits to the sauna can lead to extra sweat loss and will help even shed a few extra pounds of water weight.
- Opens the sinuses – Wet heat opens and thins mucous membranes in your body, sinuses, throat and lungs. Loosening mucous can immediately be felt after entering a sauna as your breathing feels clearer. This can be especially beneficial for those who suffer from chronic congestion or sinus infections,
- Removes toxins – Sweating relieves the body of waste products, and sitting in a sauna for as much as 20 minutes or less can rid the body of an entire day’s sweat and all of the toxins that come with it.
- Treats cardiovascular diseases – When you’re in a sauna, your body reacts to the heat and humidity in a similar way that it reacts to mild exercise. This gets your heart pumping, exercising the muscle without exhausting it, making it stronger without risking injury or disease.
- Promotes healthy blood flow – Capillaries dilate when exposed to the heat of a sauna or steam room, so blood flows freely and easily through the whole body, transporting oxygen everywhere you need it and leaving you feeling refreshed.
- Post-workout relaxation – Muscles need to be relaxed and stretched after they are exercised in order to promote healthy recovery. When muscles are worked out, their tiny fibers break apart. When the fibers heal, the muscle gains mass and becomes stronger. This process is expedited by muscle relaxation, which occurs in response to a hot environment.
- Encourages social interaction – Going to the sauna can be a bonding experience with loved ones. Being social heightens your self-esteem and makes you more likely to live a healthy lifestyle.
Read more of our Top 10 Articles