We previously wrote about why you should drink warm lemon water first thing everyday. Research from Germany has shown that drinking 16 oz upon rising in the morning can boost metabolism 24% for 90 minutes afterward. A smaller amount of water had no effect. What’s more, a previous study determined that muscle cells grow faster when they’re well hydrated. A general rule of thumb: Guzzle at least a gallon of water throughout the course of a day.
Here are some more reasons drinking water first thing in the morning is healthy:
- Increased nutrition absorption: Drinking water on an empty stomach purifies the colon, making it easier for your body to absorb nutrients.
- Increases cell production: Our blood is composed of about 83% water, while lean muscle tissue is approximately 75% water. Early morning water consumption increases the daily production of new blood and muscle cells.
- Keeps skin looking rejuvenated all day: It’s no coincidence that it’s called the “fountain” of youth. Water helps to purge toxins from the blood, which helps keep your skin glowing, moisturized and clear. This gives you a more youthful appearance, and over time visibly reduces signs of aging.
- Keeps lymph system and immune system running smoothly: Your lymph nodes act as filters for foreign particles and are important in the proper functioning of the immune system. Lymph fluids circulate throughout the body, helping you perform multiple daily functions – including balancing your bodily fluids and fighting off infection.
- Keeps metabolism high: your body works a little bit harder to raise your core temperature when you consume something cold. Drinking at least 16 ounces of chilled water in the morning can boost your daily metabolism by up to 24%!