Every corporation struggles to maintain its niche and relevance in its market, while still caring for and appreciating its employees. But the truth is that overweight and unhealthy employees cost corporations an astronomical amount in sick days, reduced productivity, and health premiums. Corporations need to invest much more on promoting healthy lifestyle than they currently are in order to get their maximum net profit. Simply put, they need to invest more in the health and fitness benefits available to employees.
For this reason, many corporations today are more aware of the benefits of having a healthy team and promoting fitness and healthy nutrition within their business practices. A growing trend within companies is to offer its employees incentives or other rewards for attending exercise classes regularly or losing weight within a given time period. Some companies are even offering partial payments for gym memberships or discounts at businesses that sell pre-packaged healthy meals.
The heightened benefits and proof of successful investment include:
- Healthier, more productive working employees
- Lower stress levels
- Lower turnover / higher employee retention rates
- Fewer sick days
- Lower insurance premiums
- Protection of a company’s greatest asset – the employee
- Higher self-esteem and a greater team-building mentality
- Increased energy and vitality in the workplace
- A more optimistic, positive attitude
- A greater eagerness to succeed and lead, along with the energy to do so
- Improvement in family life brings improvement into the workplace
- Greater community synergy, greater company synergy
After publishing an article urging the Fortune 500 companies to improve their fitness, the Health Fitness Revolution team and founder Samir Becic researched the top 10 Fortune 500 companies and found the wellness benefits they offer their employees. This is the first list of its kind, following a list of the top 10 healthiest US companies.
“Considering that corporations are the backbone of the U.S. economy, I personally believe that it is crucial that they have strong wellness programs in order to reinsure the productivity, creativity, and powerful dynamic that is in their potential,” Becic said.
- Trying to make food healthier and more affordable by working with suppliers to reduce sodium and sugar in key products.
- Also aiming to double the amount of organic produce they buy and lower costs to consumers
- The company’s comprehensive benefits plans offer medical, dental, disability, life and 401(k) retirement savings with matching contributions of up to 6%, and many other benefits, some of which are free to associates.
- An associate discount card that enables employees to save 10% on regularly priced general merchandise, fresh fruits and vegetables at any Walmart store.
- Walmart is continually working to provide the 1.1 million Walmart associates and family members covered by Walmart health care plans with access to affordable, comprehensive medical coverage as well as tools, resources and innovative new benefits to help them manage their health and well-being.
- For $7-10 a paycheck employees can use the Walmart fitness center, which has a track, exercise equipment, a swimming pool, classes, etc.
- The new North Houston head campus The campus is designed in the same vein as the Googleplex, the California headquarters of tech giant Google that doubles as an adult playground, with volleyball games, free haircuts and rec rooms.
- Has a state of the art fitness center available to employees
- GlobalFit Discount Program: This fitness discount program allows employees, retirees and their families to join top-rated health clubs at substantially discounted rates.
- Top-notch health and dental coverage
- Educational Refund Program: The company reimburses 100% eligible tuition, fees, and books for courses to maintain or improve work skills.
- Has a company-wide “Get Moving” program that states: “Make physical activity part of your regular day. Being active can help you stay healthy, control your weight, lower your risk for many chronic conditions, including heart disease, some cancers and diabetes. No matter what your age or condition, you can engage in daily physical activity. Being more active, even a little bit, can improve your health. A brisk half-hour walk every day can help you improve your health. You will enjoy the benefits of greater energy, better mood and improved sleep.”
- Chevron offers a variety of programs to help employees find the best way to lead a more active lifestyle. Participation in any of these programs is voluntary.
- Participating employees may be eligible for Health Rewards in 2015 including a $250 Wellness Credit added to their Health Care Spending Account* on January 1, 2016 and also be entered in a drawing for a chance to win free medical premiums for all of 2016 for themselves and their eligible dependents.
- Chevron encourage employee health “When it comes to your health, you have the power to create change. It’s commitment to the small steps that makes the biggest difference, and Chevron resources can help you along the way. If you’ve been thinking about exercising more, losing weight or quitting tobacco this year, then here’s your chance to get help committing to those goals, one small change at a time. And while you’re making those small changes, why not get points toward health rewards?”
- Onsite Chevron Fitness Centers: Chevron fitness centers also provide a broad range of illness and injury prevention training, health education and exercise opportunities. Some locations also offer massage therapy
- National fitness partnerships: In addition to the Chevron locations that have on-site fitness centers, Chevron employees and their dependents have the opportunity to join 24 Hour Fitness or Anytime Fitness health clubs at our preferred corporate rate.
- Healthy Heart Program with WebMD- By participating in this program employees can create a plan for exercise, work with a health coach, and use a variety of online tools and resources that are personalized to them.
- Activity Challenges
- Employees can listen to online Health Audiocasts that cover a variety of health topics, including exercise.
- Healthwise Health Encyclopedia access: The Healthwise website is available to employees for a variety of health information and decision-making tools. Chevron employees have access to this confidential and free Web resource, regardless of your medical plan enrollment. The site provides links to how-to information about physical activity for everyone. The site includes info on walking for wellness, reducing back pain, and healthy weight.
4. Berkshire Hathaway
- CSI Chairman Emeritus William McBain Kizer saw the benefits of promoting personal health and wellness, not only in his growing company, but also for the community and the nation.
- Kizer led the charge for workplace health by creating a healthy company and urging his fellow business leaders to do the same.
- His founding of the first Wellness Council in Omaha in 1982 led to the formation of Wellness Council of America – WELCOA. A national business and health promotion, nonprofit organization, WELCOA is one of the most respected resources for workplace wellness with membership in excess of 3,200 member companies.
- Kizer’s vision for a healthier America is summed up with his own words, “Keeping people healthy in the first place will go a long way toward addressing the skyrocketing health care costs facing this nation.”
- Under his leadership, the company has come to exemplify the power of promoting healthy lifestyle practices among its employees and provided the impetus for Omaha to become one of America’s healthiest cities.
- The Ceo of Berkshire Hathaway believes in health within his company, “There is no question that workplace wellness is worth it. The only question is whether you’re going to do it today or tomorrow. If you keep saying you’re going to do it tomorrow, you’ll never do it.” – Warren Buffet, Chairman, Berkshire Hathaway
- Apple have released a new advert geared towards the health and fitness market promoting it’s workout features. The advert’s called “Strength”.
- Jobs wanted to pass on his love of meditation to others in the workplace, allowing employees of the tech giant to take 30 minutes each day to meditate at work, providing classes on meditation and yoga on-site, and offering the use of a meditation room.
- They released an Apple watch that includes a comprehensive selection of health apps for measuring heart rate, activity, nutrition, sleep, and more.
- Apple has released an app called HealthKit and says that “It just might be the beginning of a health revolution”
- The new Health app gives you an easy‑to‑read dashboard of your health and ﬁtness data such as heart rate, calories burned, blood sugar, and cholesterol
6. Phillips 66
- Phillips 66 is there to help create a healthy lifestyle but it is up to the person to actually make the commitment to stay healthy
- They can help guide your well-being by offering a comprehensive package of wellness programs designed to help you make smart choices so you can feel better and live well.
- their wellness programs are confidential, completely voluntary and provided by the company at no cost to the employee and their dependents.
- Depending on how much activities, an employee can get compensated with cash rewards for staying healthy
- Phillips 66 believe that there is no excuse to avoid the gym because they will reimburse the employee for their gym membership and up to 50% of their dependence for up to 300 dollars
- they offer free screening that tests blood pressure and cholesterol to body mass and blood sugar and can help you identify risk factors for future health issues early, while there’s still time to take action.
- Phillips 66 havepartneredupwithWebMD as their wellness partner and includes services such as:
- Health Assessment – A confidential online questionnaire that provides a personalized wellness report and an action plan for improving your health.
- WebMD Health Coaching – One-on-one phone meetings with a health expert who can help you improve your health and support you along the way.
- My Health Assistant – A virtual health coach that creates simple weekly plans to keep you motivated to reach your goals in a variety of areas.
- Health Record – Use this tool to help keep track of your health records in a single, secure and convenient place.
- WebMD Pregnancy Assistant – A fun, interactive tool for both the mom-to-be or dad-to-be to promote healthy pregnancy.
- Preventive Screening Form – To earn points for preventive care or screenings, complete a form and follow the directions for submission.
7. General Motors
- “Your Hard Work, Rewarded”
- “As you grow in your career, we want you to know that your future is secure from your first day at GM. We offer you and your family comprehensive benefits that will fit your life”.
- “HSA plan, they have 3000$ deductible and contribute 1500 to your HSA account each year”
- Comprehensive medical plan
- Triple tax-advantaged health savings account with GM contribution
- Dental plan
- Life insurance
- Disability benefits
- Occupation Accident Insurance
- Mental Health Care
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Allowed “sick days”
- Has a “General Motors: Weight Loss Diet Program”. “This program is designed for a target weight loss of 10-17 lbs per week. It will also improve your attitudes and emotions because of its cleansing systematic effects”. Its a step by step program with day by day instruction on healthy diet to reduce weight and improve health.
- The GM Foundation. Has donated money for “Health & Human Services” purposes. Also donations to “American Heart Association”, “American Red Cross” and “Safe Kids Worldwide”.
- Has several fitness gym training facilities in various cities. (A full proper gym).
8. Ford Motors
- Promotes healthy choices, and healthy lifestyle. Believes that a healthy lifestyle benefits employees. Believe in “workplace wellness”.
- “Ford Motor Company has made it a priority to communicate the importance of health and wellness among its employees in the workplace as well as at home. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is essential, especially when national health care costs continue to rise and the country’s health status continues to decline”.
- “Workout Buddies Program”. Ford employees voluntarily train/instruct fitness and exercise classes.
- Has a health insurance plan.
- Life insurance
- Occupation Accident Insurance
- Mental Health Care
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Health Care On-Site
- Sick days off
- The Ford Motor Fund. Focuses in areas of community life, education and safety. “Community Life programs range from hunger relief to health care to support of cultural activities”.
9. General Electric
- General Electric’s Health Coach program offers all workers access to trained nurses who can answer questions on everything from claim issues to chronic illness.
- The company also offers NowClinic, a program that allows employees to video-chat with physicians 24/7 to obtain a quick diagnosis.
- there’s also GE’s Expert Medical Opinion, which enables employees to get a free second opinion from a Cleveland Clinic Specialist at no cost.
- The company also takes a proactive approach to health, offering inexpensive gym memberships to employees, their spouses, adult children, and even company retirees.
- Healthymagination is working toward better health for more people. They’re committed to continuously developing and investing in innovations that deliver high-quality, more affordable healthcare to more people around the world.
- HealthAhead, GE’s internal health program to improve the health of GE employees
- Promotes a 100% free tobacco-free campuses
- Approximately 2/3 of their global employee population impacted positively by HealthAhead
- GE partners with their employees and their families around the world to help them live and work healthier, to reduce health-related work absences and to limit the growing cost of employee healthcare.
- GE Healthcare’s use of social media in its annual #GetFit competition has far reaching significance to the 25.5 million participants* worldwide, who have used the social networks to take part, interact, and engage with others to promote awareness about helping cancer prevention through healthy living.
- #GetFit campaign encourages participants to share their healthy habits and join in the challenge via social media.
10. Valero Energy
- Is very active in the community with various charity projects and millions in donations. Encourages employees to stay active with teams in the MS150 bike ride and several family health days.
- Valero states that balancing work and home life, keeping in shape and staying healthy are goals everyone shares and they aim to make this a reality for their employees
- The Fit Valero Wellness Program encourages employees to achieve total health, fitness and well-being by providing valuable services and innovative programs, such as wellness assessments, fitness programs and employee assistance. Valero’s wellness program has improved quality of life and even saved lives.
- A fitness center is located at the corporate headquarters in San Antonio and is available to employees, spouses and retirees at no charge, 24 hours a day. A variety of group fitness classes and personal one-on-one training are available. The Port Arthur, Bill Greehey (Corpus Christi), Texas City and St. Charles refineries also have fully equipped fitness centers.
- Other employees who do not have access to an on-site fitness facility may use Valero’s fitness membership subsidy benefit. This benefit allows employees to select the health club of their choice, conveniently located near work or home.
- Valero operates four on-site wellness clinics – at headquarters and the Port Arthur, Bill Greehey, Texas City and St. Charles refineries. The clinics assist employees with at-work health emergencies as well as routine medical issues, with doctors and nurses available five days a week. Valero also has implemented a cancer management program at the clinics to help employees and family members who are diagnosed with the disease.
- Valero provides annual, on-site health risk assessments that are free for employees and at reduced fees for spouses and retirees, providing confidential evaluations
- Valero also provides all employees and their immediate family members with a free, confidential employee assistance program that is available 24 hours a day, offering counseling on a variety of personal, family and work issues.
- The company offers several employee health promotion programs or services. And regular “Lunch & Learn” sessions focus on health-related/work-life issues, such as cancer awareness, heart disease, smoking cessation, exercise, financial/estate planning and other topics.
- Valero earned several recognitions in 2014 for promoting and embracing the well-being of its employees, including: Fit-Friendly Award, Gold Level Recipient, from the American Heart Association and the Healthy Workplace Award: Gold Recognition, from the San Antonio Business Group on Health in collaboration with the Mayor’s Fitness Council
@generalelectric Here’s how the Top 10 of the Fortune 500 companies support their employees’ Health and Fitness http://t.co/UxNo1J7HLP #GE
#Health and #Fitness Benefits of the Top 10 Fortune 500 http://t.co/K3s2mQuly9 @SamirBecic
As we know that unhealthy employees cost corporations a big amount in sick days, reduced productivity, and health premiums. That’s why corporations need to invest much more on promoting healthy lifestyle than they currently are in order to get their maximum net profit.