Sometimes, life gets a little stressful and all we want to do is find an escape to relaxation. Although exercise is always the best way to un-stress and get a boost of endorphins, we have put together a list of Top 10 Foods for Relaxation:
- Honey: This is a food that many people know and even many use but many don’t know that it can be used to relax the body and the mind. Honey is known to contain high in tryptophan, which helps to reduce anxiety and relax the nerve. In addition to this, honey is also known to be rich in potassium which has a soothing relieve on the brain and also the body. Potassium helps to fight off stress hormones in the body and acids to relax the nervous system.
- Vegetable Soup: Soup is also among the best foods that relax your nerves. This works well because it helps to get rid of foreign bodies and infections from your body which are one of the main reasons that get many people uneasy. You should go with soups that contain vegetables like tomatoes, green peppers, carrots and you can also add garlic, spinach, thyme and many other ingredients that you could use to improve your well being.
- Milk: If you need a quick calming effect, reach out for a glass of warm milk. Warm milk is known to contain tryptophan –a compound which helps in the production of serotonin (around 43%). Serotonin is known to induce a feeling of pleasure along with helping in sleep. You can always take in cold milk during the day to avoid drowsiness for cold milk is still rich in calcium which also induces calmness.
- Celery: Historically, celery was regarded as an antidote for stress, with Hippocrates prescribing the vegetable as a tonic for those suffering from nervous tension. Today, nutritionists recognize the daily ingestion of celery as an effective plan to lower high blood pressure. Lower blood pressure leads to a better ability to relax.
- Oatmeal: As long as it is sugar-free, oatmeal aids in relaxation for several reasons. First, this complex carbohydrate enhances the absorption of tryptophan, which leads to the production of serotonin – a brain chemical that helps the body relax. In addition, oats are rich in Vitamin B6 – a known anti-stress vitamin and melatonin, a hormone that supports a healthful relaxation and sleep.
- Cold Water Fish: Cold water fish such as mackerel, tuna, salmon, sardines and herring are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s help boost serotonin levels while suppressing the production of anxiety-related hormones cortisol and adrenaline. In addition, omega-3s have been shown to lower high blood pressure.
- Bananas: This fruit is loaded with potassium and magnesium, known natural muscle relaxants. Because relaxed muscles encourage the body to relax, sources of potassium and magnesium (like bananas) are a wise route towards easing physically mounted stress. Bananas also contain tryptophan, which promotes serotonin release in the brain.
- Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate helps to reduce stress levels in the brain and this can be done because it contains serotonin, endorphin and dopamine, which are great hormones for the mollifying of stress level in the brain. Be sure to eat 70% of more cacao.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts are rich in magnesium,selenium, zinc, vitamin E and vitamin B-complex that help relax the brain when taken in large quantities. Peanuts and pumpkin seeds are rich in magnesium but peanuts also have high sodium content which is why they are not good for your health when taken in large amount.
- Eggs: Just like milk, eggs are a source of amino acids packed with tryptophan which is a relaxing brain chemical. Make sure you include eggs in your diet either in breakfast or as a snack.
Read more of our Top 10 Articles
Health Fitness Revolution by Samir Becic Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization, to make the world a healthier, fitter place, please donate!