The COVID-19 pandemic is here and people all across the world are becoming sick from this new disease. That’s why now it is more important than ever to keep our immune system in the best shape possible to help protect us from getting seriously ill.
Here’s a list of foods to avoid that can lower our immune system- so let’s avoid them as possible during this time:
- Sugar: Too much sugar is already bad for the body, and it’s also a zero-nutrient substance that has been shown to corrode our teeth and brains. Having a high blood sugar level also greatly reduces the ability of germ-fighting white blood cells, which kill the foreign pathogens in our body that could be potentially harmful to us. Instead of eating processed sugar from sweets, try to eat foods that are high in fiber like brown rice, lentils, and chickpeas. These foods will also help stabilize your blood sugar level and keep your immune system in check.
- Cereal and White Bread: Simple carbs from foods like these contribute to the increase in the amount of sugar found in our daily diets. These refined grains quickly convert to glucose in our bodies when they are digested. Instead of white bread and pasta, try foods like quinoa or oats with bananas.
- Fatty Foods: Our fatty food sources are coming from fried foods. There’s plenty of reason to cut these foods out of your diet. High-fat diets negatively affect our body response to infection, meaning that our body won’t be well prepared for when a foreign invader enters our body and in turn, that lowers our body’s immunity.
- Alcohol: Alcohol impairs the immune system and interferes with the body’s ability to fight off infection. There have been studies that prove that excess alcohol consumption can lead to immune deficiency and increase susceptibility to certain diseases. With alcohol consumption increasing during this time of stress, we should try and limit this to improve our immune system.
- Processed Foods: These can be great for a quick and convenient meal that stores well in the fridge or freezer, but they also come with added health risks. They often contain higher amounts of sodium, fats, and sugars. The preservatives in these foods can also be harmful.
These are just some of the things to avoid eating during this pandemic to keep your immune system in tip-top shape. Also, here is a list of immune-boosting supplements to take.