Finding new ways to stay fit and active is always an exciting adventure. And if you are an adrenaline seeker, the popular new sport of flyboarding offers a perfect mix of high energy and fitness on the water. A flyboard is a water jetpack shaped similar to a snowboard and attached to a long hose that connects to a watercraft. High-pressure water propulsion transmitted through the hose pushes the flyboard rider up to 15 meters in the air. Although it looks complicated, experienced flyboarders say it’s like learning to walk and is not limited by a rider’s fitness level. Flyboarding may take some serious coordination of the hands and feet, but it doesn’t require large amounts of strength.
Flyboarding combines the physical attributes of an array of popular sports activities including jet skiing, water skiing, wake boarding, skiing, snowboarding and acrobatic diving.
Here are Health Fitness Revolution‘s health and fitness benefits of flyboarding:
- great for developing coordination skills
- uses every muscle in your body
- getting up and staying up on the skis helps develop balance and core strength
- promotes strong legs — legs stay bent in a half-squat throughout the activity
- requires a strong grip to maintain hold of the rope — builds strength in your arms, shoulders and back
- tones up abdominal and back muscles
- improves flexibility in the hands and feet
- helps develop a better sense of balance
- cardiovascular exercise
- activates the core muscles
- strengthens your quads, hamstrings and calves when steering the board
- engages your arms, shoulders and core muscles when maintaining balance
Health Fitness Revolution founder Samir Becic recently traveled to Austin for an interview with Jordan Steele, who not only made our list of Fittest News Anchors in Austin, but is also an avid flyboarder. Here is what Jordan had to say about his favorite sport:
“To me, a healthy lifestyle is a lot more than just going to the gym and lifting weights. In fact, I don’t go to the gym much at all. I enjoy my healthy lifestyle by doing active things outside. I’m a huge enthusiast for flyboarding, which is a new water sport that keeps me active. There is a stereotype going around that makes people think you have to “work out” in a traditional sense to stay fit. That may be the case for some, but others, like myself, get their ‘work out’ in a different way. That’s the point about it being a ‘lifestyle’ – You can make it fit what you love to do. In my case, it’s getting outside and just enjoying life.”
Samir on Jordan: “Jordan Steele is a great example of somebody who is healthy and fit, is on TV, and can be one of the great ambassadors for promoting healthy lifestyle in Austin and Texas. His dynamic personality and enthusiasm for sports and healthy lifestyle will motivate millions throughout his career.
Health Fitness Revolution will follow this sport as it continues to grow, and we will observe its impact on the healthy lifestyle of the American population. We think it has a great future.”
Here are some action shots of Jordan flyboarding:
Here are Samir and Jordan at KEYE station: