This recipe for healthy trout almandine by our resident chef is a great addition to your culinary arsenal. Dazzle your guests or make a healthy meal for yourself.
Makes 4 Servings
- 4 Wild Steelhead Trout fillets (about 5oz each)
- 1/4 lb of dry roasted almonds (HEB was out of unsalted, so I bought salted)
- 1/2 liquid egg whites
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 Tble Macadamia Nut Oil (or other high heat oil)
- Chop or grind almonds into a mixture of coarse and fine nut (I used the coffee grinder and got a nice mix)
- Combine the nuts and cayenne pepper in a small, flat dish. Pour the liquid egg whites into another one. Place the trout fillets in the egg whites.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the macadamia nut oil. Dredge the fillets in the nut mixture on both sides. Add to the pan and increase heat to medium-high.
- Turn the trout after 2 minutes . Cook until the fish is cooked through and lightly golden brown, about 1 or 2 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Value per serving of Wild Steelhead Trout
Calories – 215
Fat – 8g
Carbs – 0g
Protein – 33g
Coming up with the nutritional breakdown on this dish was not going to be accurate due to the fact that you are dipping the fillets in the egg white and the ground almonds, so those nutrients would be unmeasureable as to how much each fillet actually got. So, I just provided the trout values!