Vitamin D is important for our health, and while a supplement exists, we recommend going for the most natural version – which in this case is sun exposure. The sun is always out during the summer so take advantage of all these health benefits while it’s plentiful! Sip some lemonade or mow the lawn in ease with these top 10 benefits fo sun exposure.
- Helps Curb Depression: There’s a reason more people get depressed during the dark, cold, winter months. Exposure to sunlight helps boost our mood because it stimulates the synthesis of feel-good hormones endorphins.
- Helps Us Sleep: Exposure to sunlight during the day helps us sleep better at night because it increases the production of melatonin, the body’s natural sleep hormone, during the night.
- Aids in the Absorption of Vitamin D: The sun prevents rachitis in both children and adults and osteoporosis in elders because the skin synthesizes vitamin D when exposed to sunlight. This way, calcium is absorbed into the intestine and helps grow strong bones.
- Helps Protect against Cancers: Regular and controlled exposure to the sun has a preventative effect against colon and breast cancers, as well as leukemia and lymphomas. Vitamin D and some related compounds impede the development of cancer cells.
- Strengthens your Heart: Exposure to the sun strengthens the cardiovascular system blood circulation is improved, arterial pressure, glycemic, and cholesterol levels can be normalized too.
- Good for your Liver: Sun rays are an effective treatment against jaundice because the sun improves liver function!
- Help your Kidneys: Being in the sun and sweating helps eliminate toxins through your skin, which helps your kidneys and liver too.
- Increases Metabolism: The sun improves thyroid function, which is directly connected to metabolism.
- Relieves Arthritis Pain: The sun’s rays can help ease the pain caused by swollen joints and arthritis.
- Sunlight is a Natural Anti-Microbial: Which is why you can put household items such as carpet, blankets, and pillows out in the sun to kill microbes.
Health Fitness Revolution always aims at proving you the best health information available, but we always urge you to follow our suggestions in the safest way possible – so limit your exposure to 20 minutes of direct sunlight a day and always wear sunscreen!