Everyone can remember their mother correcting them with “Stand up straight!” and “Don’t slouch!” And honestly, mom was right all along- there are medical reasons why good posture is so fundamental to good health. Health Fitness Revolution did some research and here’s what we found for you.
- Avoid Health Complications: Over time, slouching increases your chances of having a spinal disc slip, back pain, back aches, decreased blood circulation, and chest pressure. Improper posture takes a toll on muscles in your neck, shoulders, back, and hips, and leads to problems such as carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists
- Facilitates your Breathing: There’s a reason pilates, yoga, and meditation exercises pay so much attention to posture: because it helps you breathe! Close your eyes, slouch, and breathe. Now consciously pull your shoulders back and breathe. There should be a noticeable difference in the amount of air your lungs take in. Having good posture opens up your airways and facilitates good breathing.
- Increases thinking power and Concentration: Our brains require 20% oxygen to functions properly. Therefore, by increasing your good posture habits, you facilitate your breathing and take in more oxygen. Oxygen is the best food for your brain and with that, you have more energy to focus and think during the day.
- Feel Better about Yourself: If you consciously adjust your posture now, we’re sure you’ll notice a difference in how you feel. When you have good posture you naturally have more self-confidence and boosts in happiness. Try it for yourself!
- Improves your Image: When you feel confident and happy, you portray an attractive and inviting image of yourself to others. It will give you a great first impression, whether it be the first day of school or that ideal job interview.
So stand up, look forward, pull your shoulders back and be healthy as you take on your day!