Hot, iced, with milk or bold, drinking coffee is a staple of most of our diets. We drink coffee to jump-start our mornings and use it as a platform for social outings at local and big business cafes. Truth be told, coffee has more than just the social benefits in its consumption, it’s a ritual to those who enjoy it. No matter where in the world, each culture has its own traditions dedicated to our beloved bean, which is why we’ve dedicated a whole article to it! Here’s Health Fitness Revolution’s top 10 health benefits of drinking coffee:
- Improved energy: The main reason why many people like to drink coffee is that it boosts your energy levels. It helps you feel less tired due to the high amount of caffeine it contains and many studies show that coffee improves aspects of brain functioning. Some of these functions include memory, mood, vigilance, energy levels, reaction times, and general cognitive function.
- Burn fat: Caffeine is found in almost every fat burning supplement. This is because caffeine is proven to be one of the very few natural substances that helps with fat burn. One study revealed that caffeine can boost your metabolic rate, ensuring you are maximizing your ability to burn fat.
- Peace of mind: In a recent study conducted by Harvard University in 2011, women who drank four or more cups of coffee per day had a 20% lower risk of becoming depressed. It also showed that they were 53% less likely to commit suicide. Caffeine boosts your energy and can put you in a better mood.
- Good source of antioxidants: Coffee is known to be the biggest source of antioxidants in the western diet. The western diet typically consists a lot of red meat, sugary desserts, high-fat foods, and refined grains, but coffee serves as the main source of antioxidants which makes it one of the healthiest components of this diet.
- Hormone balancing effects: Researchers at Harvard University found that women who drank several cups of coffee per day were less likely to develop endometrial cancer, which is found around the lining of a woman’s uterus. Coffee helps reduce high levels of hormones thus the reduction of estrogen and insulin.
- Helps prevent disease: Coffee also has an impact on reducing the risk of developing certain diseases like Parkinson’s disease, heart failure, basal cell carcinoma, liver cancer, and Type II Diabetes. A 2009 meta-analysis revealed that consuming a cup of coffee can decrease the risk of Type II Diabetes.
- Antidepressant properties: According to a recent study by the Archives of Internal Medicine, women who drank 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day were less likely to be depressed and while also having a decreased risk of acquiring depression. Drinking caffeine can boost your energy and can leave you in a better mood.
- Longer life span: Although not too much research has been conducted on this, a recent study by The New England Journal of Medicine suggests that people who drink coffee could lead a longer life than non-coffee drinkers. Outside factors do play a role such as adopting bad health behaviors.
- Heart-healthy benefits: One Dutch study that people who drank 2 to 4 cups of coffee daily lowers the risk of heart disease by 20%. Drinking coffee can help reduce inflammation in the arteries which helps reduce the risk of developing heart disease.
- Better daily performance: The main reason as to why so many people consume coffee is to battle the early morning or afternoon fatigue. The consumption of caffeine helps boost your energy which also helps boost your performance level to help you get through the day.
Check out more of Health Fitness Revolution’s top 10 health benefits!