Within the Caucasus and Himalayan Mountains in parts of Europe and Asia, there is a mushroom known as the shilajit (shi-lah-jeet) that is said to have revitalizing and nutritional benefits. It is typically a black or dark-grey substance that oozes out of the cracks and crevices of rocks due to extreme heat. The natural paste-like substance is rich with a variety of nutrients and minerals such as vitamins A, B and C. There is still a lack of research over the shilajit mushrooms, but from what we do know there are a lot of health benefits that come from them. The substance is mentioned in old Hindu literature and is known to play a large role in Hindu mythology. It has been found that shilajit contains a minimum of 85 minerals in their ionic form, humic acid, and fulvic acid. They also contain phospholipids which are vital to many organisms. Here we have gathered some of the greatest health benefits from the shilajit.
- Boosts Energy: Shilajit was found to be a highly beneficial supplement that was able to provide a natural boost of energy and help to increase athletic ability because it contains fulvic acid and amino acids which help provide more energy for the body.
- Enhances Performance: Russian scientists confirmed that shilajit has the ability to enhance performance capabilities in endurance, strength and concentration. It has been used by Russian military and the Russian Olympic team.
- Helps Balance Hormones and Emotions: The high amounts of minerals and nutrients help to strengthen the endocrine system, which is in charge of managing your hormones and moods.
- Has Anti-aging Effects and Promotes Longevity: Our skin ages due to oxidative damage, but because shilajit are so rich with antioxidants such as selenium, phospholipids, and triterpenes, which help prevent oxidation, it can help slow down the aging process. Because of these effects, it is also believed to lengthen the lifespan.
- Brain Booster: People who have used shilajit report a positive change in their cognitive functions such as an increased focus, mental clarity, concentration and memory. This is due to the 85 trace minerals and the mixture of alkaloids, chlorophyll, saponins, and natural plant oils that help deliver nutrients to the brain.
- Maximizes Nutrients: Shilajit is considered to be a superfood because of its vast amounts of nutrients and minerals. It can also increase our body’s ability to absorb nutrients from other substances as well. Because of its nutrient maximizing abilities, shilajit can become a beneficial supplement when mixed into smoothies, and it can help those with malabsorption issues, Crohn’s Disease or Celiac disease.
- Helps Relieve Hangovers and Addiction: Because shilajit encourages our body to rid itself of toxic substances, a dose before and the morning after a night out can help relieve a hangover or reduce addiction. But we recommend that you also try to stay hydrated as well.
- Helps Speed up Recovery: The fulvic acid in shilajit helps the body regenerate its cells by giving it the nutrients it needs, which also helps speed up recovery times.