Each morning before starting the day, one of the first things some people do is reach for their cup of coffee that their day isn’t complete without. For these coffee lovers, the caffeine fix is a must and not having it can have disastrous effects on mood, motivation, and bodily functions. Coffee can be good and bad for you, as reported in our articles on its general health benefits and its link to liver health. But having too much coffee on a daily basis, especially if it’s for the sole purpose of waking up and can be detrimental to your health in the long run. Here are ways that you can help yourself wake up without having to resort to coffee.
1. Uplifting stretches. Stretching, in general, is great for your body. Try some uplifting stretches in the morning because it will help stimulate your body to get moving.
2. Eat fruit. Eating fruit is one of the best ways to get your body awake in the morning. Apples contain natural sugars and other carbohydrates that can help stabilize your blood sugar in the morning. Other fruits will do the same and have the same effect. Plus, fruits are natural and you don’t have to worry about any extra preservatives or food dyes in your food!
3. Work out in the morning. It’s already hard enough to get out of bed, but as soon as you make the difference and adjust your schedule, working out in the morning will be a piece of cake. Early exercise routines will help your body wake up in the morning and jump-start your metabolism and other organ systems.
4. Get some fresh air. If you don’t like working out in the morning, a good alternative is to take a stroll and get some fresh air. The fresh air and nature will help reduce feelings of stress and fatigue. Also getting some sunlight in the morning has been linked to a lower BMI and better mood.
5. Take a cold shower. A cold shower normally feels really great after a hot day or after an intense workout, but cold showers can be taken more often. The instant change in temperature of the water can relieve stress and make you feel more alert. Even a splash of cold water on the face will have the same effect.
6. Drink a glass of cold water. A glass of cold water will help increase blood flow to your brain and get your brain pumping in the morning.
7. Drink tea. If you like to sip on something warm in the morning, try tea instead of coffee. Tea contains less caffeine than coffee and has other benefits like strengthening the immune system and lowering blood pressure.
8. Call Mom or someone you care for. Research suggests that by simply calling someone you care for, you can reduce your feeling of stress. Plus it’s important to stay in contact with the people you care about.
9. Give yourself a massage. Massages are a great way to relax and just get rid of all the tension built up in your muscles. Give yourself a massage to help reduce stress and to get your body more relaxed.
10. Make morning its own soundtrack. Waking up in the morning doesn’t have to be something to dread, and it doesn’t have to be horrible. Take each day by storm and remember that each day is a new day. There are endless possibilities and opportunities that can present itself each day.
Information gathered from Huffington Post