The image of a portly king sitting on his throne with a meaty turkey leg and goblet wine of is a thing of the past. Today’s royalty is cut from a different cloth, namely gore-tex and polyester cotton blend. They still spend a lot of time at the family stables, but are also making sure to set aside enough time for spin class. The team at Health Fitness Revolution, along with its founder Samir Becic, four-time No. 1 Fitness Trainer in the world, investigated the fitness habits of the British nobility. What we found was a group of people who really, really like to stay active. But it’s no surprise when you consider they attend so many state dinners, where they have to wear tailored suits and elegant dresses, so they have a huge incentive to stay in tip-top shape!
Sadly, we can’t have the nobility duke it out in some grand tournament to crown who is the healthiest and most physically fit. Until that’s a thing, we’ve come up with our own methodology to determine the fittest British royals. Those fitness level, nutritional habits, age, their own medical issues and how they coped with them, and especially involvement and promotion of healthy lifestyle within their country.
“These fit royals are great trend setters for the new generation in terms of healthy lifestyle.” – Samir Becic
Here are Health Fitness Revolution Top 50 Fittest Royalty in alphabetical order:
Prince Harry David, 30
- Captain in the British Army Air Corps
- According to the British military’s guidebook for physical training, Harry’s position requires a rigorous fitness routine
- Receives personal training sessions at a public gym
- Enjoys sports such as rugby union, polo, and skiing
- Has a trainer
- Does a mixture of circuit training, boxing, and cardio
Duchess Kate Elizabeth, 33
- In 2008 it was reported that Prince William ordered a new gym to be built at Clarence House for Kate, so that she did not need to visit any other gyms and risk being photographed.
- She works out for at least an hour a day and loves to stay slim and toned. She and Pippa use the gym all the time because it has great equipment and it’s completely private. She has even had William and Harry doing crunches and press-ups.
- While studying at college she was captain of the hockey team.
- Goes skiing every winter with Prince William
- She fuels her body well with healthy low GI carbohydrates, lean proteins and healthy fats, and exercises hard to burn off any excess energy that she has.
Prince Michael George Charles Franklin, 72
- Attended the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst
- Military career spanned 20 years
- Interested in various sports
- Represented Great Britain as a bobsleigh driver for many years and was a reserve for the 1972 Olympic games
- Was also a competitive rally driver
- Enjoys scuba diving, carriage-driving, and squash
Prince Charles George, 66
- Convinced his parents to begin eating organic
- Known for being very active
- Has served in both the navy and air force and trained as a jet pilot. In order the qualify for this position, one must be extremely healthy and fit.
- He is an avid polo player, hikes, and has a regular fitness regimen.
- He recently was asking the National Welsh Rugby team for training advice, to help him be even more fit.
- He has been known to do push-ups and crunches before bed.
- He was honorary mention on Top 13 Fittest Heads of State
Countess Sophie Helen, 50
- Described as a keen sportswoman who enjoys walking, running, sailing, and riding
- Sculpted her arms with the help of Pilates and a personal trainer
- Recently dropped from a size 14 to a 12 through cardiovascular exercise
- Goes for runs most days of the week, including 5-mile runs with her husband twice a week
- Also enjoys skiing
- According to a royal source, “she certainly takes her fitness, diet, and health seriously”
- Follows a nutrient-packed diet
- Eats lots of smoothies, porridge, chicken, fish, and fresh fruit
- Does not eat bread, pastries, fry-ups, or snacks
- Rarely consumes alcohol
Prince Edward Anthony Richard Louis, 50
- Excelled in sports when he was young
- Works out with a personal trainer
- Workout is based on Royal Marines exercises
- Goes for 5-mile runs twice a week with his wife
- Typically goes riding with his family every Saturday morning
- Hobbies include playing tennis, sailing, and skiing
Prince William Louis, 32
- Prince William works for the Royal Air Force flying Sea King search and rescue helicopters. He performs his duty as any RAF pilot should, with professionalism and total dedication to the job. This includes eating a healthy dietand staying very fit.
- While at school and college Prince William played several sports, including soccer (he was captain of his house team at Eton College), swimming, basketball, cross country running and water polo.
- In 2004 while studying at St. Andrews University he represented the Scottish National Universities Water Polo Team during the Celtic Nations championships. His codename was Steve during the tournament, and the press never caught on to the fact that he was Prince William of Wales.
- He is always active, both in work and in leisure. He does not spend his days sitting at a desk and his evenings sitting in front of the television. He has access to healthy food, and his work and royal commitments means that he has the motivation to stay in great shape.
Princess Beatrice Mary, 26
- Lost 30 pounds in 2012 by running and following a low-calorie diet
- Spent most of her teen years heavier than recommended
- After an unflattering bikini picture surfaced of her and she got many nasty comments, she decided to embark on a journey of health and fitness
- Hired a trainer and began working out an hour a day- often outdoors in a park
- Squats and lunges
- Does not believe in fad dieting, but rather sticks to consuming a healthy diet longterm
- Competed in the National Lottery Olympic Park Run
- Ran a marathon
Princess Anne Louis, 64
- Known for her equestrian talents
- First member of the British Royal Family to compete in the Olympic Games
- She is a British representative in the International Olympic Committee as an administrator