After profiling the health and wellness programs of the top 10 and top 100 companies in the Fortune 500, the team at Health Fitness Revolution and its founder Samir Becic, four-time No. 1 Fitness Trainer in the World, have ranked the top 10 fittest Fortune 100 corporations to work for according to the quality of the wellness programs offered to employees.
These companies offer incentives to employees and make health and fitness programs readily available to them — one company even demands it! — so that they can be a productive and positive team that works together to create a successful business and a healthy work environment.
“Considering that corporations are the backbone of the U.S. economy, I personally believe that it is crucial that they have strong wellness programs in order to reassure the productivity, creativity, and powerful dynamic that is in their potential,” Becic said.
The following list ranks the top 10 fittest corporations in the Fortune 100:
Honeywell International Inc.
- #77 on the Fortune 500
- Is currently getting sued by the government because it said that employees were getting fined if they or they spouses didn’t take biometric testing.
- Health Fitness Revolution supports this company trying to be avant-garde in ensuring the wellbeing of their employees. The obesity epidemic in America is not only causing lost productivity and straining the economy, but it is also lessening the quality of life of so many people.
- Honeywell states its screening program is designed to encourage employees to live more healthier and thereby create lower health care costs for themselves and the company. The company said the program complies with health care-related laws, including the Affordable Care Act.
- #46 on the Fortune 500
- Employees get free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There are also coffee and juice bars scattered throughout campuses.
- Free fitness classes, four tricked-out gyms, and organized intramural sports.
- Added more than a thousand community bikes scattered around the Googleplex.
- On-site physicians and nurses who are always available.
- Has a it’s own “Culture Czar” whose goal is to ensure happiness among the company’s employees.
- Ranked in the Top 5 of Fortune’s Best 100 Companies to work for.
- Employees can help themselves to bocce courts, a bowling alley, and an overflowing food pantry.
- The chefs on campus are trained in healthy food preparation.
- #16 on the Fortune 500
- In 2014, Health Fitness Revolution founder Samir Becic was the sole fitness expert at the grand opening of their flagship “Destination Verizon” store in Houston, TX.
- The company’s comprehensive approach to health and wellness effectively combines benefits, incentives, support, and health services to help employees.
- Verizon’s strategy involves engaging and empowering employees, retirees, and their families to proactively manage and improve their health, the company spent nearly $3.2 billion in 2013 to provide comprehensive health benefits.
- The strategy emphasizes preventive care and early detection, condition management, maternity care management, and promoting healthy lifestyles with a focus on healthy eating, exercise, tobacco cessation, emotional health, and work/life balance.
- Forty-five on site Verizon Health and Wellness Centers, staffed by trained professionals who are Verizon employees, promote the importance of healthy lifestyle habits through physical activity, nutrition counseling seminars, and more.
- Employees in Verizon locations without a wellness center have access to discounted memberships at more than 2,000 health clubs.
- Verizon significantly expanded online access to healthy living information with a new one-stop health and wellness portal called WellConnect, which provides access to all Verizon wellness programs, as well as personalized health information, online tools, mobile apps, a video library, and healthy living tips to help individuals eat well, stay active, and maintain a balanced lifestyle.
- Verizon offers no-cost biometric health screenings, such as cholesterol and blood sugar tests, along with height, weight, blood pressure, and body mass index (BMI) screenings.
- Breast health informational sessions and mammogram screenings were also offered at 21 work locations and more than 600 women took advantage of the on-site screenings in 2013.
- More than 20,000 employees received flu shots on-site, a positive increase of 8 percent.
- The company provides 100 percent coverage for preventive care.
- The National Business Group on Health (NBGH) has named Verizon to its 2009 list of Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles.
- #3 on the Fortune 500
- Has a company-wide “Get Moving” program that states: “Make physical activity part of your regular day. Being active can help you stay healthy, control your weight, lower your risk for many chronic conditions, including heart disease, some cancers and diabetes. A brisk half-hour walk every day can help you improve your health. You will enjoy the benefits of greater energy, better mood and improved sleep.”
- Chevron offers a variety of programs to help employees find the best way to lead a more active lifestyle. Participation in any of these programs is voluntary.
- Participating employees may be eligible for Health Rewards in 2015 including a $250 Wellness Credit added to their Health Care Spending Account* on January 1, 2016 and they can also be entered in a drawing for a chance to win free medical premiums for all of 2016 for themselves and their eligible dependents.
- Chevron encourages employee health “When it comes to your health, you have the power to create change. It’s commitment to the small steps that makes the biggest difference, and Chevron resources can help you along the way. If you’ve been thinking about exercising more, losing weight or quitting tobacco this year, then here’s your chance to get help committing to those goals, one small change at a time. And while you’re making those small changes, why not get points toward health rewards?”
- On-site Chevron Fitness Centers: Chevron fitness centers also provide a broad range of illness and injury prevention training, health education and exercise opportunities. Some locations also offer massage therapy.
- National fitness partnerships: In addition to the Chevron locations that have on-site fitness centers, Chevron employees and their dependents have the opportunity to join 24 Hour Fitness or Anytime Fitness health clubs at our preferred corporate rate.
- Healthy Heart Program with WebMD- By participating in this program employees can create a plan for exercise, work with a health coach, and use a variety of online tools and resources that are personalized to them.
- Employees can listen to online Health Audio casts that cover a variety of health topics, including exercise.
- Health wise Health Encyclopedia access: The Healthwise website is available to employees for a variety of health information and decision-making tools. The site provides links to how-to information about physical activity. The site includes info on walking for wellness, reducing back pain, and healthy weight.
The Walt Disney Company
- #61 on the Fortune 500
- Disney partners with parents in their quest to raise healthy, happy kids and they recognize their unique ability to help parents and kids agree on positive lifestyle choices.
- Make healthy living fun and joyful for parents and kids by drawing on Disney’s boundless creativity.
- They have addressed this opportunity through a number of initiatives including associating Disney brands and characters with a more nutritionally-balanced range of foods, offering healthier options at our parks, and using role models to inspire healthy lifestyles among kids.
- In 2006, Disney announced their Nutritional Guidelines intended to give parents and kids healthier eating options.
- They make an effort to work with licensees who offer a nutritious portfolio of food that kids enjoy and parents feel good about serving. Further, they aim to prioritize and promote wholesome foods such as fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy, whole grain, and lean proteins that contribute to a healthful diet.
- Focus on prioritizing and promoting fruits and vegetables, more than 1.7 billion servings of licensed fruits and vegetables have been sold in North America alone since 2006.
- Disney Parks & Resorts is affirming its commitment to kids’ health by offering healthier kids’ meals and expanding the healthy options available to all guests.
- #5 on the Fortune 500
- Apple released a new advert geared towards the health and fitness market promoting it’s workout features. The advert is called “Strength”.
- Steve Jobs wanted to pass on his love of meditation to others in the workplace, allowing employees of the tech giant to take 30 minutes each day to meditate at work, providing classes on meditation and yoga on-site, and offering the use of a meditation room.
- They released an Apple watch that includes a comprehensive selection of health apps for measuring heart rate, activity, nutrition, sleep, and more.
- Apple has released an app called HealthKit and says that “It just might be the beginning of a health revolution,”
- The new Health app gives an easy‑to‑read dashboard of health and ﬁtness data such as heart rate, calories burned, blood sugar, and cholesterol.
- #57 on the Fortune 500
- Aetna Named Best Employer for Healthy Lifestyles by the National Business Group on Health.
- Since the recognition program began in 2005, Aetna has received the platinum award seven times and the gold award once for establishing “healthy weight, healthy lifestyles” programs with measurable documented outcomes.
- “At Aetna, we believe promoting healthy lifestyles in the workplace is an investment in our employees and our business,” said Deanna Fidler, Aetna’s senior vice president and head of Human Resources.
- Has an Aetna Foundation whose mission is to promote wellness, health, and access to high-quality health care for everyone, while supporting the communities they serve
- The Aetna Foundation wants to understand the contributors to obesity, particularly among minority populations, and what supports and sustains better choices that can stave off overeating and reduce inactivity.
- Get Active Aetna, a popular 16-week wellness program that offers prizes to motivate employees to eat healthy and exercise.
- Healthy Lifestyles Incentive program, which offers financial incentives for exercising and eating healthy.
- Metabolic Syndrome program, which measures employees’ risk for certain conditions, such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- Virtual Wellness Center, a computer-based resource that offers a virtual kitchen and a virtual fitness center, where animated instructors lead workouts that vary by intensity.
- #4 on the Fortune 500
- CSI Chairman Emeritus, William McBain Kizer, saw the benefits of promoting personal health and wellness, not only in his growing company, but also for the community and the nation.
- Kizer led the charge for workplace health by creating a healthy company and urging his fellow business leaders to do the same.
- His founding of the first Wellness Council in Omaha in 1982 led to the formation of Wellness Council of America – WELCOA. A national business and health promotion, nonprofit organization, WELCOA is one of the most respected resources for workplace wellness with membership in excess of 3,200 member companies.
- Kizer’s vision for a healthier America is summed up with his own words, “Keeping people healthy in the first place will go a long way toward addressing the skyrocketing health care costs facing this nation.”
- Under his leadership, the company has come to exemplify the power of promoting healthy lifestyle practices among its employees and provided the impetus for Omaha to become one of America’s healthiest cities.
- The CEO of Berkshire Hathaway believes in health within his company, “There is no question that workplace wellness is worth it. The only question is whether you’re going to do it today or tomorrow. If you keep saying you’re going to do it tomorrow, you’ll never do it.” – Warren Buffet, Chairman, Berkshire Hathaway.
American Express Company
- #90 on the Fortune 500
- Provides a Healthy Living Workplace Wellness Program that encompases worksites in 22 different countries.
- Employees receive on-site medical care, including dental, dermatological, and well woman exams.
- They’ve also teamed up with local farms to serve nutritious, sustainable meals (and providing lessons in making them at home).
- Hosted a health and safety fair involving the families so everyone benefited from information regarding preventing diseases and injuries.
- Received the 2011 Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles award.
- American Express received a Gold Award for its Healthy Living corporate wellness program that encourages preventive care and healthy lifestyles among American Express employees and their families.
- Improve health of employees and their dependents by encouraging positive health choices (physical, social, and financial).
- #15 on the Fortune 500
- Health Fitness Revolution founder Samir Becic gave a seminar at the inauguration of their state-of-the-art fitness center and program in their Woodlands, Texas office.
- Offer their employees access to a wellness program, including Vitality, weight watchers and quit-for-life.
- These programs include easy access to online tools that encourage education and understanding of health risks, incentive-based wellness programs, and overall health management.
- As employees and their families participate in healthy activities, such as walking 10,000 steps per day or getting preventive health screenings, they enjoy the benefits of healthier living and earn Vitality Points, which can be redeemed for rewards.
- Employees have the opportunity to participate in the following health and wellness activities:
- A biometric screening
- An online health risk assessment
- A pedometer linked to the on-line Vitality website
- Subsidized gym membership fees
- Weight Watchers membership
- “Quit for Life” membership
- 100% coverage for preventative care
- Easy access to online tools and resources
- McKesson had recently received Platinum certification in the ‘2013 Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles’ award presented by the National Business Group on Health.
For more information about how Health Fitness Revolution can help your company get healthier and fitter, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org