2020 is in full swing, and it is safe to say that nobody expected life to be like this. During times of increased stress, our daily thoughts tend to be more negative as we realize that everything is out of our control. However, there is something that we can control, and that is our mindset during this pandemic. By implementing positive affirmations into our lives, we repeat statements to ourselves and “affirm” them by stating them to be true. Over time, this repetition will become a healthy habit in which we can self reflect and be confident in our abilities during these unprecedented times.
Here are 10 positive affirmations picked specifically to help calm your nerves during this crazy time we are living in:
- “Meet yourself where you’re at.”: This affirmation is to remind us that the past does not dictate the person we are now. Additionally, the future is not defined by who you are or what you are right now. You are here right now, living in this current moment, without the ability to change past ones while also being unsure of what the future will bring. There is nothing we can do to change this, so remember to live in the moment and take everything one step at a time.
- “My life is full of love.”: The media, politics, and immediate impacts of COVID form the illusion of a world full of darkness and negativity. However, there is a silver lining in the sense that quality time with friends, family, and yourself is something that will never again be taken for granted. This is a reminder saying that you are loved and have a purpose in this world, despite all of the chaos that may be making you second-guess yourself.
- “When I go with the flow, my life is easy and filled with joy.”: Oftentimes, we find ourselves dwelling on “what could have been” if 2020 did go according to plan. An important takeaway going forward is the importance of having and making plans to maintain a structure in life, but also being mindful to leave some wiggle room within. Life is unpredictable, and it’s easy for our expectations to be left unmatched. Living a freer life and living in the moment leaves us less stressed and more fulfilled with our everyday lives.
- “I have been through hard things before and have survived them.”: Everyone has a purpose, and every new day offers a fresh start in our lives. Any victories in your life, big or small, should be celebrated. Repeat this to yourself when you may not see the light at the end of the tunnel. This affirmation serves to remind us that we are capable of more than we think.
- “I let go of what I can’t change and do my best with what I can.”: From quarantine, stay-at-home orders, and travel restrictions, there are many frustrations and missed opportunities that are devastating to us. However, this is something that cannot be changed. Instead, we can only put our energy (and boredom in most cases) into actions that are still at our disposal. It’s easy to carry the weight of sadness by ourselves, but remember that we are all in the same boat, and we are all in this together.
- “I appreciate my life and find things to be grateful for.”: On days when it seems like nothing is going your way, it’s easy to dwell on the negative aspects of your life rather than the positive ones. Practicing gratitude is a healthy practice and correlates to increasing positive emotions and overall life satisfaction. Try keeping a gratitude journal and taking 5 minutes each day to make a list of things or people that make you feel grateful.
- “This too shall pass”: This serves as a reminder that even a situation as big as the one that we are currently facing is not one that will last forever. Every event is temporary, and things will get better (with much patience). Keeping this affirmation in mind will give you the missing strength that you need to challenge the obstacles in your current life.
- “I give myself space to grow and learn.”: Sometimes, we face our inner demons who make us believe we should be something that we are not. It is best to listen to yourself and do not try to force yourself or your situation to be something it is not. Creating space and allowing things to be, without judgment or expectation, gives you room to breathe. This affirmation promotes clarity and peace of mind.
- “I accept my emotions and let them serve their purpose.”: There are many emotions we are all feeling as a result of quarantine. This seems appropriate, given the struggles we are all enduring, but it’s important to have healthy ways of dealing with them. Notice the feeling, name it, sit with it for some time, and let it go. Your feelings are temporary and do not define you, but they are part of you that needs to be handled with proper care. Try meditating daily to decrease negative emotions.
- “I give myself permission to do what is right for me.”: Self-isolation taught us that self-love, self-care, and mindfulness is important and a crucial part of battling quarantine. Don’t think of taking care of yourself as “being selfish”, think of it as fueling yourself, just as you would with food. This affirmation reminds us to keep your personal needs as a priority in every aspect of your life because you cannot take care of others if you don’t care for yourself first.