As an avid weightlifter and fitness enthusiast, Nirenberg uses his workouts to decompress from his stressful days and give him more energy to continue leading one of American’s largest cities. Since taking office in June 2017, Mayor Ron Nirenberg has placed health and fitness at the forefront of his policy-making decisions, which is paving the way for San Antonio to climb the rankings of the nation’s healthiest cities.
Nirenberg was aptly named the “Gladiator Mayor” by 4 x #1 Fitness Trainer in America (BTF) and the current “Fitness Czar” of Houston, Samir Becic. The Mayor usually works out 4-5 times a week- but even during his jam-packed campaigning schedule, he fits in at least 3 high-intensity workouts a week. Mayor Nirenberg not only made our list of the Top 10 Fittest Mayors in America, but he is also one of the strongest contenders for our upcoming “Top 10 Fittest Politicians in American 2019.” Find out what this does to stay fit:
- Works out at least 3x weekly, alternating between heavy weight lifting and High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- Drinks 32 oz of water upon waking and continues hydrating a lot all day
- To de-stress, he uses a combination of prayer, fitness, and sitting on his back porch while listening to music
- Eats a high protein diet that helps his muscles recover from his strenuous workouts
- Eats low-sugar because a diet low in added sugar but high in protein reduces hunger and cravings
- Focuses on complex carbohydrates to stay full longer and keep his blood sugar stable throughout the day
- Uses his high-intensity fitness regime to balance himself out and to keep sane and happy.
- Credits athletics, especially being in individual sports with very little instant gratification that requires a long-term outlook and self-discipline.
- A firm believer in mind, body, spirit, and balance
- Started a “Get Strong” fitness campaign which was intended to show all the different ways that people can have fun and get fit and adapt to the lifestyle that best suits them.
- Did some graduate work in bodybuilding.
- Believes that in order for one’s brain chemistry to work at its peak, it has to be balanced, and the only way to achieve that is through a properly balanced physical lifestyle.
- Read our exclusive interview with Mayor Ron Nirenberg here.