Healthy Fitness Revolution wrote this article to explain why it is important to remain positive. Everyone gets stressed out and overwhelmed at times, but we all need to remember to take a step back, relax, and stay healthy! Whether it’s work, finances, children, family or not enough time- we all need reminders on why it’s important to keep stress at bay.
Not only is stress the #1 indirect killer in the US today, but it is also a large reason behind those stubborn pounds you have been trying to lose for years.
The science behind this statement lies in the hormone cortisol. When stress becomes chronic and prolonged, the brain activates and triggers your adrenal glands to release cortisol- which is normally released in specific rhythm throughout your day. It is usually high in the morning to get you going, and tapers off in the late afternoon to get you sleepy for bedtime.
Now the issue lies when you get stressed and increase your absolute cortisol levels, which in turn disrupts the natural cortisol rhythm. It is this broken cortisol cycle that wreaks havoc on your body and weight.
- it raises your blood sugar (which can lead to diabetes)
- make it harder for glucose to enter your cells
- reduced DHEA, testosterone, growth hormone and TSH level
- makes you hungry and crave sugar
- makes your cells less sensitive to insulin
- causes hormone imbalances
- reduces your ability to burn fat
- increases belly fat and fat in liver
- increases the rate at which you store fat
- raises the level of fatty acids and triglycerides in your body
While exercise is a powerful tool in reducing a lot of chronic stress, it is also very important for you to put less pressure on yourselves and take things in stride.
We want everyone to take some enjoyment for working out, and use these tools for the empowerment and betterment of yourselves.
So even if remembering all our tips and the new exercises seem daunting at first. Please do not stress or panic. Taken one step at a time, they will become easier and second nature with time and patience.
Today, do something you love and treat yourself, because every ounce of stress you let go of, you’re becoming healthier- and thinner!