The bread aisle can be the most confusing aisle at a grocery store, but knowing what to look for can reduce your stress level when choosing. It is always important to choose “100% Whole Grain” or “100% Whole Wheat” no matter what bread you are wanting to buy. This bread has the most nutrients for you and your family.
Here are the Top 10 from Health Fitness Revolution and author of the book ReSYNC Your Life Samir Becic:
- Whole Wheat: Whole wheat bread can be a healthy alternative to white bread but remember to make sure the package says 100% Whole Wheat!
- Pumpernickel: This bread is a delicious and healthy whole grain option. But when buying this bread, make sure that Rye is the only grain on the ingredients panel.
- Rye: Rye bread is generally white bread with rye seed in it, but if you find 100% whole rye, this is a great alternative. This may be more difficult to find at a general grocery story,but try looking at bakeries who will make it for you by request. Rye bread provides B vitamins, potassium, calcium, folate and magnesium.
- Multigrain: This alternative is only healthy if the label says 100% whole grain. If it does, it is a delicious and different option!
- Gluten-Free: Gluten-free breads can come in many different forms such as whole wheat, rye or barley. No matter what kind of gluten-free bread you like, make sure the label says 100% of that grain. This is a great option for those who have celiac disease or have an intolerance to gluten.
- Ezekiel Bread: This healthy alternative contains no sugar, 4 types of cereal grains, and 2 kinds of legumes. All of the grains are organically grown and are allowed to sprout before being made into this delicious alternative.
- Honey Flax Bread: The honey adds a bit of sweetness, and the flax-seed is great for fiber. Just make sure the label says 100%!
- Sprouted Bread: Sprouted bread is full of B vitamins and iron. An example is manna. Many types of sprouted bread include nuts and seeds which are also nutritious. This type of bread is easily digested.
- Whole Grain Date and Walnut Bread: This bread is full of fiber and heart healthy dates and walnuts. This is a unique and yummy alternative bread option.
- Sourdough Bread: Sourdough is easy to digest and very nutritious. It is the oldest and most original form of leavened bread. It also has a low glycemic index which means it doesn’t spike blood sugar as much as other breads.