Here are some truly great ways to pump up your exercise, eat better and live a healthier life.
Health Fitness Revolution is always aiming to become the best version of ourselves possible and always want our readers to have the tools and information necessary to do the same. Here are our favorite tips to living a balanced, healthy lifestyle:
- Set Goals: Write down your goals – a certain race pace or a target weight – on your bathroom mirror using a dry-erase marker. This simple act not only helps confirm your commitment but it also serves as an easy and great reminder to start each day with purpose.
- Stay hydrated. Before you even eat breakfast, start the day with at least 16 ounces of water. It’s filling, and getting more hydrations will improve your focus throughout the day and help with recovery after workouts. Aim for one gallon per day and read about why we think water is so great here.
- Poach your eggs, boil your chicken: Instead of using oil to cook your eggs, learn to poach them in water! For dinner, skip the oil and use a tablespoon of water to coat your non-stick plan instead. Cover with a lid and let the chicken steam, then flavor with herbs and spices for a perfectly guilt-free meal.
- Get a dog: As mentioned in the article we wrote about dog owners and increased exercise here, researchers found that study participants who owned dogs were more likely to be active than those who did not. In fact, the study found that 60% of dog owners meet federal criteria for regular, moderate or vigorous exercise, compared with around 30% of people who don’t have a dog.
- Head outdoors: Commune with nature and get a sweat session in outdoors or simply go for a walk! A recent study found that going for a 20-minute al-fresco stroll twice a week was more restorative than getting the same exercise in an indoor environment like a mall.
- Train with Intervals: To gain cardio endurance, train in intervals. Alternatively, to gain muscle in the gym and hit the entire spectrum of muscle fibers, set your workouts so that you train heavy one day, then lighter with more reps later in the week.
- Train with a buddy: Working out with a friend or colleague, surrounded by people who are equally as passionate about achieving their goals as you are, may push you further and do more for your progress than any another factor. Another great option is joining a class or a bootcamp.
- Never Skip Breakfast: You know better than to skip breakfast and risk noshing on extra calories throughout the day. We wrote an article about the importance of breakfast here. And while oatmeal is a great way to start your morning, you should always aim for balance in every meal. For a little protein and healthy fat, add slivered almonds, and for some fruit, throw in fresh or frozen berries or raisins.
- Be Grateful: Spiritual balance is a key component of healthy lifestyle. Religion aside, start each day by remembering any experience that recently made you happy. Studies have proven that when negative events happen, people who regularly practice gratitude cope more positively. They’re less likely to run away from the problem or pretend it’s not happening.
- Read and Become Happier: Six minutes could be all it takes to curb that stress and anxiety by 60%, according to British researchers. So catch up on your overdue reading — even if you have to do it one chapter at a time.
Read more of our Top 10 Articles