2020 is upon us and the impending Presidential election is as well. The two leaders in the race for the Democratic nomination— according to current polling — are former Vice President Joe Biden, age 77 and Sen. Bernie Sanders, age 78.
It is conceivable that, for the first time ever, Americans next year will have to choose between two septuagenarians for the presidency.
Which brings us to our next question- who is physically fitter? The President of the U.S. is not only the leader of the free democratic world, but also an example to us, our children, and indeed the rest of the world. Because of this, presidents have a moral and ethical responsibility to serve as a good example – and this extends to the way they live their lives as well.
“The president’s job is a very stressful one that requires him or her to be on duty 24/7. The stress that they are exposed to can affect their health so drastically that if they don’t maintain a healthy lifestyle, they can be subjected to any number of chronic illnesses – both physical and mental,” said HFR Founder Samir Becic.
Please note: HFR is politically neutral and not affiliated with any political party. We have been tracking fitness in politics since 2013, and profiled the 2016 candidates as well.
- Made our Top Fittest Heads of States, Top 100 Fittest U.S. Politicians and Fitness Report Card for the 2016 Presidential Hopefuls lists.
- Joe Biden, at 77, is the picture of health and fitness and a phenomenal example to fellow Americans.
- He makes sure to stay fit by using the Senate gym.
- Works on core exercises.
- Excelled in various sports in his youth.
- Played baseball as a child.
- Follows the paleo diet.
- Chops his own wood.
- Likes to take strolls.
- Lifts weights